Patch design, the next step, where to go?

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Patch design, the next step, where to go?

Post by N - Jay »

Guys,

When creating patches for my music I just create a patch in my synthesizer, play in the midi, insert my effects (saturation,delay,reverb) and that's it.

However when I'm listening to like Maya for example. Her sounds are so well designed and sound round and deep, they don't sound as dry as my patches.
What could be a next step for me to enhance the quality of my sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMli3QYseRM

Her chords sound so different than mine. Like the sharp edges have been taken off.

Maybe you could point me in a direction. Thanks.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Patch design, the next step, where to go?

Post by Rein »

in the vid you mentioned there's a lfo controlling the pitch... or vibrato / detune combined.
try creating chords by tuning oscillators relative to each other in the synthesizer... you can get a different feel that way. also...
filtering is very important, don't open it up too much and play with the filter envelope. try something different than lowpass, a comb filter for example....
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Thanks Rein. About the filters, you're right. But I'm looking into ways of taking it a step further. I kinda remember something about combining patches from different tracks with the different notes from chords. First note from patch1, third note from patch2 etc etc. I'm gonna experiment with that.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

you need to use enough modulation.
in fact, try to use as much modulation as (reasonably) possible.
the human ear is very easily bored with a sound if it's too static (if it doesn't have enough movement).
if you have 2 LFO's in your synth, use them both, even if you don't need them to get to the sound you want.
they don't have to do a lot of modulation.
Usually, just making them do small changes to stuff like pitch or cutoff makes your patch sound a lot better in the long run.
If you have a random option (parameter), use it slightly, so your patch will sound a bit different every time it's played.

Using different filters than the LP is also a good idea Rein mentioned above. It's a typical mistake a lot of people make when starting out : they always just use the LP filter, but forget about the HP or BP.
If you're using software, try using more than one filter in series (or parallel). I've had some really nice results sometimes with just using 2 LP filters in series that were only mildly changing the sound instead of using one LP filter with a more radical cutoff setting. Remember you're bringing in extra harmonics around the cutoff point by using the resonance of the first filter, so these affect the sound that goes in the 2nd filter.

And don't be afraid to use EQ to bring out certain frequencies and take away others.
I have some famous synths here that I can hardly imagine using without EQ, because they almost always sound better if I run them through some EQ.

anyways, I'm at work so I can't check the link. Will do so at home.
Most important thing to remember is to get as much movement in your patch as possible. Just little things to keep the patch interesting for our ears.
And to keep on making sounds, after a while you'll automatically get better and better.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

N - Jay wrote:Guys,

When creating patches for my music I just create a patch in my synthesizer, play in the midi, insert my effects (saturation,delay,reverb) and that's it.

However when I'm listening to like Maya for example. Her sounds are so well designed and sound round and deep, they don't sound as dry as my patches.
What could be a next step for me to enhance the quality of my sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMli3QYseRM

Her chords sound so different than mine. Like the sharp edges have been taken off.

Maybe you could point me in a direction. Thanks.
just had a listen. defintely don't open up your filter too much.
Next to the vibrato/tremolo combo, I'd also try using filter delay and/or adjusting the EQ of your reverb. (if there's no EQ in your reverb, just add an EQ before the reverb in your chain)