Cubase to Ableton?????

- ask away
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

as I said - I'd like to hear about a workaround with the non-destructive editing...?
I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by destructive editing - removing/rearranging an audio loop, but see below anyway.
this is a bit painful if you're planning to record hardware synths and especially if you're going to edit a recorded audio-track and match it to the timegrid/transportbar/whateveritiscalledinlive... it's pretty hard if as you can not see what you're doing as you're in the seperate wave-editor.
The easiest way to get around the above situation is to create the midi clip in live, and send to your external gear, then record your gear into live. This way you can trigger your midi loop to start and record the incoming wave all at once on beat.

Back to the editing -
There is not a separate editor like cubase has, but when in the arrangement view if you modify and audio clip you can then turn that into it's own separate clip.

ie - you have a 16 bar loop that plays for the first third of your song, but then you want to change it to a 4 bar clip with an off set start point to create a new rhythm. The new 4 bar clip can be created with in the arrangement view for you to use.

As well since you can use envelopes on the clips for volume and other clip properties you can do other "edits" of your existing clips.

When it comes down to it, I think you can perform most audio edits you want in Ableton, but it's not as intuitive as an external editor is.

If you want to be more specific about what audio editing you want to do then I can tell you if it is possible or not.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

thanks for the reply,

yeah I know you can record external gear and I understand the concept as I've worked with logic for many years and also a bit of cubase (aswell as hardware-only setups) so I'm not really new to the idea of recording with midi-equipment ;)

"destructive editing" means that you can edit the audio file itself (i.e like it in cubase, logic, most other daw's)... which can come handy if you want to cut out/trim a part of the actual audio file that you've recorded.

the reason why I think ableton choosed to not have it within the program is because they want "unlimited undo", which is quite tricky to do when you make use of destructive editing.

as far as I know you only can move the pointers within the file (as you mentioned, but not actually editing the _audio file_ itself) in ableton. it requires you to open the file in a external wave-editor.

in logic/cubase etc. you got a timeline in the arrange view, when you choose a audiotrack/clip you see the wave-data and a timeline on the top of the window - which makes it easier when you want to cut things...

but if I understand you right, you think I should record as a audioclip and then just use the start/end pointers instead? (and bounce it in the arrangemode?) you simply have to ignore the fact that there'll be some "dead space" within the recording? because it will be kind of hard to do a cut within the external editor and then go back into live and import the file and play with the pointers, especially if you cut the audio file too much so there's a bit too little space instead = impossible to synch with the other stuff.

maybe I should add that I always record all elements as seperate tracks as I treat all elements of my drums (for example) differently with eq, compression and so on. it leads me to record all elements I want to seperatly process, as own tracks. and if I can't cut/trim the tracks so they're synched I'll be in trouble.

hope I make myself clear, sorry about the fussy explaination ;)

(I don't plan on recording long audio tracks, just small 1,2 or 4 bar loops mainly and work with them in the session mode)