- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

jacksonick wrote:
steevio wrote:
jacksonick wrote:This thread has been very inspiring, thanks everyone.

OK, I've just won the bidding on a doepfer a140 and an MFB drum 04. apart from power supply, what do you think I should be looking for next?

I'd rather not use my computer so I don't really want to take the shortcut of getting a midi to cv module.

Perhaps an LFO?
its difficult to advise you there bro, its probably best to start by sequencing from your computer (i did), simply because it requires a lot of modules to do anything other than the simplest sequencing, which a computer can do without breaking sweat.

my ultimate aim was always modular sequencing, but it was a big help to build my system with the modules which produced audio first to get a foothold, then once you've got some spare cash you can gradually build your sequencing side up.
this way your modular is useable from the start. a computer will never integrate as well as a modular sequencing set-up, but it can help you get a start.
I'm just eager to start with the sequencing because it baffles me and I want to understand it in an activist sense.

To be honest I haven't even got an external soundcard yet and I'll need one for recording anyway. I've just spotted a doepfer mixer going cheap, maybe get that then save for a nice VCO.

Thanks.
remeber that you have to have something to sequence. i would honestly advise you to get a few more basic modules together before you begin buying sequencing ones. it wont take you 5 minutes to get your head around sequencing, its probably the easiest part of synthesis.
jacksonick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jacksonick »

steevio wrote:
jacksonick wrote:
steevio wrote:
jacksonick wrote:This thread has been very inspiring, thanks everyone.

OK, I've just won the bidding on a doepfer a140 and an MFB drum 04. apart from power supply, what do you think I should be looking for next?

I'd rather not use my computer so I don't really want to take the shortcut of getting a midi to cv module.

Perhaps an LFO?
its difficult to advise you there bro, its probably best to start by sequencing from your computer (i did), simply because it requires a lot of modules to do anything other than the simplest sequencing, which a computer can do without breaking sweat.

my ultimate aim was always modular sequencing, but it was a big help to build my system with the modules which produced audio first to get a foothold, then once you've got some spare cash you can gradually build your sequencing side up.
this way your modular is useable from the start. a computer will never integrate as well as a modular sequencing set-up, but it can help you get a start.
I'm just eager to start with the sequencing because it baffles me and I want to understand it in an activist sense.

To be honest I haven't even got an external soundcard yet and I'll need one for recording anyway. I've just spotted a doepfer mixer going cheap, maybe get that then save for a nice VCO.

Thanks.
remeber that you have to have something to sequence. i would honestly advise you to get a few more basic modules together before you begin buying sequencing ones. it wont take you 5 minutes to get your head around sequencing, its probably the easiest part of synthesis.
Yeah, I guess there isn't much point in trying to predict how I'm going to use it when I've not yet made any sounds.
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

ok been thinking about posting this for a while but was worried it might be a bit pointless but ah well, y'all feel free to ignore!

been thinking about some purchases and the direction i want to go in. I'm currently all software apart from a nord modular g2 which isn't mine but i have pretty full access to. I want to get a dedicated mono synth for my bass lines. i love the nord but am never satisfied with simple bass lines on it (as soon as the cut off on any of my patches goes above about midday it sounds dead weak to my ears - perhaps its just my patching?)

so my plan is to get either a vermona mono lancet or a MFB Microzwerg for bass duties and also as a gradual lead in to analog modulars. With the monolancet I paln to build my own DIY modular dock (http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... ono+lancet) which would give me:

1 VCO1 Out
2 VCF Out
3 VCO 1&2 Off
4 +12V
5 PITCH BENDER Out
6 VELOCITY Out
7 CV VCO1 In
8 PWM VCO1 In
9 CV Cutoff In
10 GATE In
11 Noise Out
12 LFO Square Out (+/- 5V)
13 EG Out (+10V)
14 VCO2 Out
15 GND
16 VCF In
17 CV Out (1V/Octave)
18 After Touch Out
19 Wheel Out
20 CV VCO2 In
21 PWM VCO2 In
22 CV VCA In
23 GATE Out
24 LFO Triangle Out (+/- 5V)
25 LFO S&H Out (+/- 5V)

I was wondering what people thought would be a more interesting/useful first step into an analog modular environment?
I use numerology and would probably be sequencing through a midi/cv converter at first.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

in my opinion, my favourite things are:

musical fluctuating uncertain modules like the Wogglebug or Noisering
Repeating strumming attack decay generators like maths
triangle core oscillators with waveshaping, for analogue FM
organic low pass gates

I would build a little set up with that
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@ catchpenny

we've talked about this on here a few times, i think most of the dedicated modular guys would agree that starting with a semi-modular is a bit of a waste of resources.

i think its a misconception that you have to be eased into modular gently, as long as you have a baisc understanding of synthesis, its easy to get straight into modular with a short burst of research into what you want.

i'm very happy that i never wasted any time on semi-modulars and just dived straight in there. i know that i would have been selling my semi-modular to buy proper modules within weeks of getting the modular bug. semi-modular is frustrating.

its just my opinion, but why waste time and money, if you see a gap in your set-up that could be filled with modular, then just get the modules to do it, you may not be using them for the same job in a years time, but it means you're on the path from the start.

i'm not sure why you're having problems getting good bass from the Nord, i've always got great bass from various Nords, you must be doing something wrong.
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

I can understand that, however, a lot of what i do is based around live performance and from my point of view a portable analog monosynth is my top priority, with the modular capabilities really being an added bonus. Also my budget is extremely limited (its taken a rather long time to save up the £ needed for the vermona or MFB).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

catchpenny wrote:I can understand that, however, a lot of what i do is based around live performance and from my point of view a portable analog monosynth is my top priority, with the modular capabilities really being an added bonus. Also my budget is extremely limited (its taken a rather long time to save up the £ needed for the vermona or MFB).
fair enough mate.
but of course you can still build a monosynth in modules and put them in a portable case, it will work out more expensive, it really depends on how interested in heading in a modular direction you are. i'm 100% live, and i find modular to be perfectly suited to it. there's also for instance the Doepfer A111-5 which is the dark energy but as a module and much cheaper.

anyways good luck with it all.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

I have been very slow on this but now have a OSC303 and Cyclonix Cycle box.

No case and no more modules yet :D

I know what I want so I'm just saving or selling things.

Watch this space!