modular etc etc

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by tone-def »

the pittsburgh foundation would be better if it came in a half empty 6U case.
jacksonick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jacksonick »

This thread has been very inspiring, thanks everyone.

OK, I've just won the bidding on a doepfer a140 and an MFB drum 04. apart from power supply, what do you think I should be looking for next?

I'd rather not use my computer so I don't really want to take the shortcut of getting a midi to cv module.

Perhaps an LFO?
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

tone-def wrote:the pittsburgh foundation would be better if it came in a half empty 6U case.
oblioblioblio wrote:it's going to make you regret buying it instead of a bigger system.
i assumed the next step after buying it or the doepfer mini system would be to buy an empty case to start filling with modules.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

steevio wrote:
skept wrote:i'm really into midi delay at the moment which i am assuming is similar to what you are describing.
yeah its very similar, but not exactly the same, and i'd find it difficult to explain why its different in the same way as i find it hard to explain the difference between modular and other forms of synthesis, but if youre into midi delays then you'll love modular mate.
what type of modules should i start looking at based on what we are talking about here?
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

i made an attempt at putting together a system that may be a little more interesting than the foundation. thoughts and suggestions and pointing out mistakes appreciated.

doepfer: a-100p6 with psu2 (1200ma) rear mounted power switch (black) (a little room to grow)
Doepfer: A-110 Standard VCO
Pittsburgh Modular: Generator (seems like this would be a more interesting second oscillator?)
Pittsburgh Modular: Midi
2 x Pittsburgh Modular: ADSR
Pittsburgh Modular: Dual Index
Pittsburgh Modular: Mixer
The Harvestman: Polivoks VCF
Pittsburgh Modular: LFO2
Pittsburgh Modular: Vilfo (for more interesting modulations?)
Pittsburgh Modular: VC Bend (for interesting cv activities?)
5 x Doepfer: 1/8 Patch Cable 6in
5 x Doepfer: 1/8 Patch Cable 12in
5 x Doepfer: 1/8 Patch Cable 20in
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

The one thing with the foundation is that with modular the difference in price between getting a 3u case and a 6u one by the time you've got power is quite minimal, so if you build your system 3u at a time it's going to be very expensive, the power supply isn't going to be that high quality (yes a good PSU is important and can reduce noise levels in your system).

That Doepfer PSU is one of the better ones.

It's quite hard to make recommendations about modules, becuase everyone has their own budget and preferences.

The generator module looks like it has good functions and function density. However, it doesn't seem to have a linear FM input, which for me is really crucial to make really musical controllable FM. It also doesn't have temperature compensation and tracking, so it will be hard to get it to play in tune. Those functions are quite expensive so I can understand why they left that out. I have a Livewire Dalek Modulator which has great useful oscillators with no tracking but are great for kick drums and such. The generator is however triangle core which is important for good FM capabilties (as opposed to saw core), it basically means the core of the oscillator is based on a triangle(or saw), and all the other waveforms are distorted or otherise shaped from that basic wave, and triangle has much less harmonics.

If you watch this video you can hear what I'm talking about, he's using the keyboard to change the pitch of the modulation oscillator and the carrier oscillator stays the same, the whole synth just has those 2 oscillators, but to me, those FM capabilties are really important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4jRmysLWkM

I hear from a lot of people that the Polyvoks is a great filter.

I had a vilfo once and thought it was a great module. It doesn't have lots of voltage control but sometimes you need that I think... if you can voltage control every single possible parameter it can be too much possiblities.

I wouldn't bother with those ADSRs unless you're really keen. The AD generators with voltage control of time and clock generation capabilties offer a LOT. I couldn't live without my Dual Envelator module. Maths is cheaper.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

One other thing to mention is that if you have a lot of modules by the same manufacturer it gives the system a feel like a 'complete' synthesiser where everything has been designed to work well together.

People will disagree with my when I say that, saying that everything is just voltage control and any modules can be fit together but to me it really helps me creatively to have a modular system that all has been designed so every module compliments every other one. It's really hard to explain what I'm talking about... but I'll just leave it at the fact my system is 83% Wiard and stuff that really fits into the vision of the creator and everything hums and purrs as one.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hi skept,

well i couldnt advise you on that list mate, i havent got a single module on it.

and oblio is right that i would disagree about the single manfacturer approach, i buy the modules which do the job best, i dont see any sense in being loyal to one manufacturer. i'm sure he has good reason with his own approach, but for me modules are modules, they are designed to talk to each other, infact i try to get as many manufacturers as possible, to get as many flavours as possible.
every module has its own character, i have 7 different VCFs and they all sound and perform completely differently, some are good for some jobs and not so good at others, sticking to one manufacturer is just limiting yourself.
part of the joy of modular is the fact that there are so many manufacturers making such a huge range of different modules.

mix and match would be my advice everytime.
Last edited by steevio on Sun May 27, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.