of course, sorry my fault ^^
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Beatport: 50% reduction for Lossless upgrade for one wee

Post by Themis »

also look who weighs in on the mp3 vs WAV discussion

source: http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/wea ... -lossless/
It’s a known fact in the DJ community that lossless files are the way to go if you’re looking to deliver the highest-quality sound to your audience. If you’re playing big-room soundsystems, festival PAs—heck, anything larger than your bedroom—lossless files are the only way to ensure top-quality audio without the sound degradation that is inherent in MP3 compression.

DJ extraordinaire Sander van Doorn prefers “playing lossless files only,” he says. “As I want to guarantee my fans the best audio experience for every set.” And he’s definitely not the only one. Loco Dice echoes the sentiment, saying, “I play lossless files because the format contains uncompressed audio, gives me the maximum audio quality, and doesn’t fail when I combine digital files and vinyl records.”

But lossless isn’t only for straight-ahead DJing. “Uncompressed files are the only ones suitable for proper editing, which is a big part of my life,” says Magda. “I use lossless files simply because of quality.”

Now through the end of May, when you make your next purchase lossless on Beatport, you’ll get half off AIFF and WAV upgrades, and be rocking the best possible audio for your audience. “With storage and download speed barely an issue these days, there’s absolutely no reason not to give your dancefloor the best possible sound with lossless audio,” says Max Graham. “Only lossless for me,” he adds.

“If I walk into a club, I know immediately if a DJ is using Serato and playing MP3s,” Andrew Weatherall explains. “Because to my ears the sound is a little bit harsh in the upper-midrange area. The DJ tries to compensate. You get to the mixer and all the EQs are up—they’re trying to put back in the frequencies that have been taken out—and it never works. And the sound engineer is scratching his head, saying, ‘Oh, the soundsystem doesn’t usually sound like this.’”

Experience music the way it was meant to be heard—and played—with lossless files. Take 50% off AIFF and WAV upgrades when you make your next purchase lossless (until May 31st). Get started now.

It seems, someone told beatport they could make a lot more bucks if they hook people on lossless files, now suddenly everyone can hear the difference between 320 and WAV.
now after years of pushing compressed files, they tell everyone that lossless is the way to go.

also this sentence is kind of funny
“With storage and download speed barely an issue these days, there’s absolutely no reason not to give your dancefloor the best possible sound with lossless audio,”
so no problem today? seems to be a problem for beatport cause there would be no other reason to charge 1€ for a 1.30€ track only for a upgrade.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

“If I walk into a club, I know immediately if a DJ is using Serato and playing MP3s,” Andrew Weatherall explains. “Because to my ears the sound is a little bit harsh in the upper-midrange area. The DJ tries to compensate. You get to the mixer and all the EQs are up—they’re trying to put back in the frequencies that have been taken out—and it never works. And the sound engineer is scratching his head, saying, ‘Oh, the soundsystem doesn’t usually sound like this.’”

hahahah!! BULLSHIT!

they should read the test that made by Slice magazine a couple of years ago... 192k MP3, 320k MP3 & WAVs, nobody was able to tell the difference...
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

LouisVee wrote:hahahah!! BULLSHIT!
You probably didn't even have pubes when Andrew started spinning records, so when the man says something you better listen & learn, son.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

breton wrote:
You probably didn't even have pubes when Andrew started spinning records, so when the man says something you better listen & learn, son.
it's not because Andrew Weatherall says something that it has to be true... I know who he is and I totally respect him of course,

but when he says "When I walk into a club I know immediatly if it's a WAV or a MP3 playing", I don't believe him... I would love to make a test, and to see if he can actually guess that. Do you believe him, only because it's Andrew, son?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

LouisVee wrote:
breton wrote:
it's not because Andrew Weatherall says something that it has to be true... I know who he is and I totally respect him of course,

but when he says "When I walk into a club I know immediatly if it's a WAV or a MP3 playing", I don't believe him... I would love to make a test, and to see if he can actually guess that. Do you believe him, only because it's Andrew, son?
I find there is a difference when its a CD, laptop or vinyl playing. Can't say I can tell which one every time. But I often feel a difference when a different Dj comes on and plays on something else.