How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

- ask away
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

Post by hairblz »

I'm going to start doing tracks at 1xx.your mom bpm.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

hairblz wrote:
ray parry wrote: Why would a .01 tempo be annoying? Is it harder to warp when its like that?
Yeah, I find it much harder to beatmatch them, got to constantly be nudging
No two hardware sequencers I've ever owned have been able to match up perfectly at the same tempo setting except for two of my Dr. Rhythms.

As far as arrangements go, I like to have a bit of intro to get the mix done before any heavy stuff comes in. Clashing basslines and chords can sound uuuugly.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

ray parry wrote: Why would a .01 tempo be annoying? Is it harder to warp when its like that?

I play vinyl so dont have to worry about things like that.
Agreed, even if I'm using Torq or CDJs it's a complete non-issue. The fact that a track is 124 or 124.1 BPM is by the by, beatmatching is beatmatching.

Same with tracks that start on beat 2 instead of beat 1... learn it once and it's not a problem. Sascha Rydell for one seems to be quite fond of starting his tracks on the 2.

Short tracks too... nothing wrong with a 5 minute track if that's all it takes to make its point. 1-2 minutes to mix it in, still plenty time to cue up the next one. If anything I get more annoyed at longer tracks that just go on and on but aren't very friendly for mixing out of in the middle.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hairblz wrote:
Yeah, I find it much harder to beatmatch them, got to constantly be nudging
but many old techno and house records were sequenced with TR909s which are no where near the tempo it says on the display, 127 might actually be 126.477 bpm.

infact most hardware sequencers will never give you an exact bpm.

you can either beatmatch or you cant, it doesnt matter how far out it is.
jacksonick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jacksonick »

Tracks that fade from silence are annoying.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

steevio wrote: you can either beatmatch or you cant, it doesnt matter how far out it is.
More so with vinyl than with CDs.

With vinyl you have to beatmatch purely by ear.

On the other hand, with CDs, you can use your ear and simple maths together. (This works well when tracks are exact Bpms, and results in less frequent nudging than just using your ear)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

hairblz wrote:
steevio wrote: you can either beatmatch or you cant, it doesnt matter how far out it is.

On the other hand, with CDs, you can use your ear and simple maths together. (This works well when tracks are exact Bpms, and results in less frequent nudging than just using your ear)
Huh? I mix vinyl and cd's pretty much the same. The cdj's give a readout of their estimated bpm, but aside from that it's the same. I'm not doing any math when mixing.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

hairblz wrote:

aaah, now i see.. that's why it's easier for you to mix tracks with a whole-number bpm count... sure, all the calculating with decimals sucks :D

jokes aside, what are you talking about maths and mixing??

the only way i can think of is that you know the original bpm count of all your tracks.. then you see ah i'm playing this 123bpm record pitched by +1,3%, so my new 124bpm records needs to be pitch to xxxxx ...

srsly mixing "purely by ear" as you call it, seems much easier to me :D