Post by MarkA »

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/vide ... -0314.html

interesting, sorry if it's been posted before
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by Phase Ghost »

I'm quite impressed with the tip top drum modules so far. Will the mod have a cv in to control the tone like on an oscillator? Always loved that pitched 808 kick sound (ie. old Jungle tunes). The snare and hats sound great also. I have a feeling that the 909 kick is gonna sell out in a day. I almost regret getting rid of my trigger sequencer. To be honest though, it was kinda shitty. I used it as a clock most of the time and it would miss steps left and right. I might mod my MK I ES-3 so I can attach the breakout panel.

In other news, there is so much eurorack now. I swear the amount of modules available has tripled in 2.5 years. There's gotta be like 20 or more oscillators available now. That's only considering analogue. It's all really remarkable. I just wish I had more money. :?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

So, I got the blue lantern bass drum. Yeah, I know, zero through VCO drama...OMG how could you.......not here to discuss that. This design seems to be totally his, so I have no problem buying it.

My only fear before purchasing this was that it wouldn't go low enough. Well, it doesn't. Only goes down to A (actually just a little bit sharp). Oh well, 90% of the kicks I make are A and above, so no big deal. Personally I would have made it go less high and down to C, but I didn't make it! :D

Anyways, the controls are pretty good and easy to use for shaping the sound. The envelope feature adjusts how prominent the initial "click" is as well as the attack on the body of the sound. Kinda hard to explain, but that's pretty close. Decay is obviously the length of the kick. Tone acts like a subtle filter and buzz is the distortion/noisy part of the sound. Overall, the sound is definitely more 909 than 808. If you turn everything down and crank up the decay it get's 808'ish. Overall definitely more 909. I've got to admit, it sounds pretty damn good. Other kick drum synths have a lot more control, but I don't feel like this thing needs any more control. If it had an option for a lower tuning, it would be perfect. For $120.00, I'd say it's well worth the money.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
yeah that wouldnt be low enough for me either, i usually have my kicks between D# and B most usually G or G#

i'm loving the BD808, the mod is simply a tuning pot replacing a resistor, i'm going to make a 2hp breakout panel with the pot on it.
the BD909 is still not ready afaik, but Gur said there would be a tuning pot on it as the 909 circuit is more stable..
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I think I'm gonna e-mail him and see if a similar mod is possible. Replacing a resistor with a potentiometer would be an easy fix (assuming the resistor isn't surface mount).
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

I've finally been making the plunge into eurorack, I ended up going with a Monorocket case since analoguehaven was out of the Doepfer portable cases, anyone have a monorocket case???
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Nope, Doepfer case here. Plenty of people have monorocket's though. The main difference is monorocket cases have sliding nuts as opposed to the screw holes being drilled into the rails. Congrats!
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

I was wondering if the modular heads would be kind enough to explain what is used to make such kind of stuff in general? What modules would you need for a pretty basic set up? I'm really fascinated with the idea of a machine that is almost alive. I hope that someone could give a few tips so I can get the general idea. Cheers!

Would it be reasonable to consider a Kraftzwerg as a starter?