Vynil storage

- wax
Mef Dncng
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Vynil storage

Post by Mef Dncng »

tone-def wrote:it's just a mess. i could spend time arranging it all but then when you pack the record bag to go and play somewhere it gets ruined.
True. I've tried in an alphabetical order following my collection with discogs but after two weeks was all a mess
www.dncng.com

- keep the underground alive -
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

numbering each record seems a bit crazy to me...

i have mine by genre and by city/country (so i have some cubes for chicago house, some for detroit house, some for other us house, some for uk house, some for eu house etc) and fairly loosely by label/sound within that. part of the fun of looking for a record is finding all of the other ones you'd forgotten about. unless you have tens of thousands of records i can't imagine it being that difficult to find something if you have it in some kind of genre order.
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

also how does the label work? you just put it on the spine? and then what you put the records in the shelves in the order you bought them?
massive323
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by massive323 »

if I have more than 3 release on a label they get grouped by cat. no in the my alphabetized label section, if i've only got 1-2 releases on a label then they go via artist name A-Z after the label section. All spine showing, opening at the top. OCD.

Works for me..
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

My collection isn't huge (around 250 pieces..always growing though ;) ) so i've organized it by genre...and for my fav labels like arpiar, perlon, something..labels i have a lot of releases from..i group them together by cat no. just like the dude above me said!
arthy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by arthy »

How should I work if I want to quickly find the vynil I'm looking for AND at the same time, looking for any vynil in a particular style of music depending on the rhythm I wanna give to my set with next track, the way the crowd is reacting at the moment, etc.
How could I combine both thos things at the same time ?
Thanks
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

unless you have a crowd in residence in your living room i don't think that's an issue
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Some rough categories like electro, house, techno, idm, ... and alphabetically by label within those. besides that i regularly pick a box of records (80 - 100) that i want to play with for a while crossing all genres. this core selection will be slightly modified over time by adding and removing single records and after some weeks when i find the time i sort all of them back and exchange the whole box with new picks. i have about 1k vinyls and for me this is the perfect combination of quick access and surprising finds.