Are synths necessary?

- ask away
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Are synths necessary?

Post by luco »

Rein wrote:
jessejames wrote:Music is the movement of sound over time. As long as your music moves in some manner and creates interest, it doesn't matter what you used to do it; synths or samples or recordings.
yes, exactly!

agreeable
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

jessejames wrote:Music is the movement of sound over time. As long as your music moves in some manner and creates interest, it doesn't matter what you used to do it; synths or samples or recordings.
I've never heard it explained like that. Thank you.

-K
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

steevio wrote:
Hades wrote: and if you want the DJ to play your track, there's usually a few "tricks" that will improve your chances, no ?
that's all I'm saying, that this "there's no rules"-thing only truely counts if you're not aiming for the dance floor.
no not for me these days. i just make the music i want to, and i know that a really good DJ will be able to play it if he really wants to. my last release has a track that comes straight in with everything blazing, bass and all, i dont have a problem at all mixing it myself, but i can imagine some DJs thinking 'i'm not buying that, where's the intro/outro ?'
another track on the release is only just over 4 minutes long, again i dont have a problem mixing it, and yet another track is in 9/8 time signature...etc.. it's still aimed at the dancefloor though.

i've given a few promos to the DJs i most respect and know can easily handle mixing it.. but i dont expect to sell truckloads to the masses, but i dont have to, vinyl runs these days are quite small usually limited, the people out there who can see something in the music will buy it for its musical content and not cheap tricks to make it DJ friendly. i'm happy with that.

are synths necessary ? for me synthesis is necessary, but thats just personal preference, for me its what techno is all about.
When i used to buy vinyl i never thought about the mixabiltiy factor. I even bought records for certain sounds. If it grabs me emotionally - that's more than enough for me! "I can't buy that because it doesn't have a 16/32/64 pure-beat intro." How sad if someone thinks like that.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

loopdon wrote:
steevio wrote:
Hades wrote: and if you want the DJ to play your track, there's usually a few "tricks" that will improve your chances, no ?
that's all I'm saying, that this "there's no rules"-thing only truely counts if you're not aiming for the dance floor.
no not for me these days. i just make the music i want to, and i know that a really good DJ will be able to play it if he really wants to. my last release has a track that comes straight in with everything blazing, bass and all, i dont have a problem at all mixing it myself, but i can imagine some DJs thinking 'i'm not buying that, where's the intro/outro ?'
another track on the release is only just over 4 minutes long, again i dont have a problem mixing it, and yet another track is in 9/8 time signature...etc.. it's still aimed at the dancefloor though.

i've given a few promos to the DJs i most respect and know can easily handle mixing it.. but i dont expect to sell truckloads to the masses, but i dont have to, vinyl runs these days are quite small usually limited, the people out there who can see something in the music will buy it for its musical content and not cheap tricks to make it DJ friendly. i'm happy with that.

are synths necessary ? for me synthesis is necessary, but thats just personal preference, for me its what techno is all about.
When i used to buy vinyl i never thought about the mixabiltiy factor. I even bought records for certain sounds. If it grabs me emotionally - that's more than enough for me! "I can't buy that because it doesn't have a 16/32/64 pure-beat intro." How sad if someone thinks like that.
of course it's sad, but unfortunately a lot of people do think like that.
a lot of people come home from work and watch tv almost every night.
I consider that a shame, but what can you do ? ;)
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

Hades wrote:of course it's sad, but unfortunately a lot of people do think like that.
a lot of people come home from work and watch tv almost every night.
I consider that a shame, but what can you do ? ;)
Oh man... I know what you mean. :( Think of the wasted potential...