midi to din sync

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

midi to din sync

Post by Rein »

anyone knows how this works? if i want to hook up a din synced synth with one of those converter boxes, what kind of midi signal is needed as input, 16* 1/16th midi notes or...? saw the doepfer boxes, is it possible to choose the midi channel or is it automatically set to 1?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: midi to din sync

Post by steevio »

din sync is like midi-clock in effect, but it came before midi.

so a midi-din sync convertor, converts midi-clock to a pulse that syncs up your kit, you can't send note or gate information.

Kenton do good convertors as part of some of their midi/CV boxes, or if you've got money go for a Innerclock Systems.

avoid Philip Rees !!!
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

steevio wrote:din sync is like midi-clock in effect, but it came before midi.

so a midi-din sync convertor, converts midi-clock to a pulse that syncs up your kit, you can't send note or gate information.

Kenton do good convertors as part of some of their midi/CV boxes, or if you've got money go for a Innerclock Systems.

avoid Philip Rees !!!
thanks for the info! but what would be the easiest way to sync up my gear then? my master is ableton, which controls some synths trough midi. in the new setup everything must be controlled by an external clock? don't know if i like that...

or, is there an easy way to send midi clock from ableton with a vst or something? i've got expert sleepers' clockers but that one doesn't seem to work.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Rein wrote:
steevio wrote:din sync is like midi-clock in effect, but it came before midi.

avoid Philip Rees !!!
thanks for the info! but what would be the easiest way to sync up my gear then? my master is ableton, which controls some synths trough midi. in the new setup everything must be controlled by an external clock? don't know if i like that...

or, is there an easy way to send midi clock from ableton with a vst or something? i've got expert sleepers' clockers but that one doesn't seem to work.
sorry mate, i'm not sure what you mean.
ableton can send midi-clock. just send it to the din-sync convertor from your soundcard midi-output.

what synth are you wantng to sync ?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

want to sync a tr-606... so all i've got to do is connect a midi cable to the din-sync converter, and set the sync button to on in the midi-preferences tab to on?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thats it.

edit;
i'm not 100% sure that an ordinary midi cable will do for the convertor > TR606 lead, i have a proper Roland din-sync cable, ive got a feeling that they are wired slightly different, but let me check next time i go in the studio tonight,

an ordinary din cable will probably do the trick
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

thanks for the input steevio, much appriciated!