CD decks are a sham :(

- open
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: CD decks are a sham? :(

Post by zentex »

i think cd's are a useless format in these days, i'd rather would go for USB stick. imho it's just the exact same digital data, on a different package, so why not use one you don't need to eject and holds thousands of songs instead of tens.
also, the weight issue...jeez, the most laughable excuse i come across. go to a fcking gym.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

zentex wrote:i think cd's are a useless format in these days, i'd rather would go for USB stick. imho it's just the exact same digital data, on a different package, so why not use one you don't need to eject and holds thousands of songs instead of tens.
also, the weight issue...jeez, the most laughable excuse i come across. go to a fcking gym.
I love you.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I sure was happy the CDJ2000 had a USB option when my laptop-with-traktor-scratch-vinyl-control crashed to the floor a few minutes before my set. I always have a backup plan, in this case two USB hard disks, just plugged them into the CDJ2000's, and off it went. It also made me seriously consider switching to CDJ's, but my empty bank account keeps me on the technics for now :)

I'll always play vinyl simply because there's tons of music out there that isn't available digitally (and vice versa) but that doesn't mean cdj's can't be a good thing. And whether the music comes from a USB stick or a slate of stone, what the hell does that has to do with anything...
the only thing I can't stomach are "autosync-button-jockeys" but even then I'm a lone wolf in that. Nightlife and dj'ing has been opened to a broad audience and tools to make everyone believe they can be a dj is a commercial raid that's impossible to stop. So all I can do is make a choice for myself and say that I play with vinyl control, and I just let other people do their thing the way they see fit.

Must say, it's actually a plus to play with vinyl these days, it's remarkable how many people actually come and watch what you are doing at the booth. technical skills will always make a difference I guess.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I'm sorry if I've had a somewhat cantankerous / obnoxious tone.

Please realise, this *isn't* another "Vinyl vs CD / Laptop vs CD / Laptop vs Vinyl." thread.

A wise man once wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:All of it have advantages and disadvantages. Go for what you find suits your own needs the best.
And it completely missed the point of my thread. I have not been disputing this.
PsyTox wrote:And whether the music comes from a USB stick or a slate of stone, what the hell does that has to do with anything...
This is the crux of my argument, that some people seem to have missed.

I postulate that if a good CD player (with USB function) costs £1000, then without it, the player could cost around £600. (You could be paying £1200 for your home setup instead of £2000) This would give you exactly the same experience as using CDs in the club with some improvements:

- no need to eject anything
- 3-6 hours before the performance, I can practice/vibe instead of writing labels/burning CDs
- significantly cheaper (I could buy a fucking sweet mixer/bunch of effects pedals with the savings)
- less risk of audio skipping

Yet *none* of the popular brands in DJ products sell a player that doesn't have a CD player attached. As far as Pioneer, Numark, Gemini, Denon are concerned, if you don't see the point in buying a CD playing player, then you should play with a laptop and MIDI controller. This is just total nonsense, which is what I've been trying to say.

The technology for an MP3-J has been sold for 5 years. It's absolute bullshit that nobody has provided this option yet, but I can see why - it would make the value of CD-Js drop. For clubs, the CD playing utility somewhat useful at this point in time; it is a backup player, and many DJs arrive with CDs. Having said that, if you told a DJ that there were no CD players, he/she would say "ok, i'll bring USB sticks instead" and they would spend about 30 minutes getting ready, lets be honest.

I wouldn't even mind paying £1000 for a player, if that money went towards features that I want.

Last edited by hairblz on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

PsyTox wrote:the only thing I can't stomach are "autosync-button-jockeys" but even then I'm a lone wolf in that. Nightlife and dj'ing has been opened to a broad audience and tools to make everyone believe they can be a dj is a commercial raid that's impossible to stop. So all I can do is make a choice for myself and say that I play with vinyl control, and I just let other people do their thing the way they see fit.

Must say, it's actually a plus to play with vinyl these days, it's remarkable how many people actually come and watch what you are doing at the booth. technical skills will always make a difference I guess.
BOOM!

Nail-on-Head! :)
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

patrick bateman wrote:I'm not trying to stop the future, well I don't think I can at least...
Thanks :D That is mighty big of you cause I was hoping the future was going to bring good things.
zentex wrote:i think cd's are a useless format in these days, i'd rather would go for USB stick. imho it's just the exact same digital data, on a different package, so why not use one you don't need to eject and holds thousands of songs instead of tens.
I tend to agree with this. I am not sure how CDJs work technically. I mean are the files from the CDs loaded into RAM and manipulated from there or is it done on the fly. I would think that manipulating from RAM would be quicker and allow for better processing. Again, I am not aware of how it all works on the lower levels. there is really no difference between manipulating the actual data from a cd or a stick. Its the same stuff.

And ya, if you can't lift a cd wallet then djing should be the least of your concerns... if a mild breeze picked up you may float away into the sky never to be seen again.

The only thing that has made me want to get a CDJ was that I think it would give better pitch control when using time control CDs. Using any kind of midi interface is just not practical. Midi has only 128 discreet values and that is just not enough to set an accurate pitch when mixing. This means you have to use vinyl control or auto sync. I wish this problem would be addressed. One of these DJing software companies should come out with a super accurate controller. Aside from the performance value, social value and tactile sensation I think the only reason many people even still use decks for digital mixing is because midi is a terrible way to mix. I guess moving around vinyl makes it look like you are doing something. Keeps you busy.

Its mind boggling that nobody has realized this and developed the hardware to overcome the issue. Vinyl is cool and all but the thing I am really concerned about when mixing is my ability to control the pitch. I am not a big turntableist or anything. (Someone gave me scratch needles for xmas though, lol, they just figured)

In the end I think way too many people get caught up in the equipment and methods that people use to play music. In the end I think it is the music that is actually important. I really care a lot less about the DJ then the music they play because the music they play is what makes a DJ good... unless you are into turntableism in which case its all about a bunch of scratches and juggles regardless if their music is sh!t. Not to knock the skills... just some of the music.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: CD decks are a sham :(

Post by patrick bateman »

I've seen on recent youtube vids and pics that Jeff Mills made the transition to cd's/cdj's...
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: CD decks are a sham :(

Post by ray parry »

what was he using before?