Online production courses / tutoring?

- ask away
fucinay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Online production courses / tutoring?

Post by fucinay »

I have plenty of DVDs and other resources for using Ableton and Logic, but I'm looking for something that teaches more in-depth professional techniques. I'm not looking to be taught a particular style of music. I don't hang out with a group of musicians to trade production or song writing skills with. I'm looking for any producers out there who sell videos of how they produce a track from start to finish using either Logic or Ableton. I've bought some videos from MacPro Video, but the guy covers the subject in 1.5 hours. I'm at a plateau as far as technical know-how... I'm more into an experimental house hybrid sound these days if that matters (i.e. Move D) or something along those lines. Anyway, please advise. Thanks!
djw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Online production courses / tutoring?

Post by djw »

perhaps you could benefit from the courses offered by point blank (http://www.pointblankonline.net)? they do courses on ableton and logic. might be worth a try! good luck!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

You cant go wrong with "Mixing Audio, Second Edition: Concepts, Practices and Tools" and "Dance Music Manual, Second Edition: Tools, Toys, and Techniques". Those are two really good book to understand the more technical aspects of making music, and will cost a lot less overall than an online course.

If you are interested in sound design, nick sell at a good price some really cool tutorials at http://nickstutorials.com/ . They are some of the better i saw and use only ableton instruments.

Also check Tom Cosm website http://www.cosm.co.nz .

If you really want to spend a lot of cash, there is pointblank, or dubspot. But they are very pricey. Dubspot videos seems good from the freebies on youtube.

Last, there are all the Groove3 video series, that ranges from fairly basic to medium, but overall you can learn one things or two from them, and their videos arent too much expensive.

But if you ask me, read those two books, pick a synth, some drum samples, take a track you like,, put it in ableton and start listening to it over and over again. While you listen, create some midi channels and clips for every part of the song you hear, and at the end you have a complete arrangement that you can study and try to replicate.

Hope this help!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Oh i forgot, there are also the books by michael hewitt, music theory for computer musicians and harmony for computer musicians.. Those two are also really good and can help a lot to make your music more music and less random sounds ;)
fucinay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fucinay »

Thanks for your input. I actually took a course at Point Blank 2 years ago, but found the pace too fast for me at the time as I was very busy all the time. Now I make even less money than before so I simply cannot afford Point Blank.

Does anyone know of a tutorial where a producer shows exactly how (s)he created a (quality) track from start to finish? I'd pay a decent amount for that!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

http://www.groove3.com/str/producing-el ... music.html

The track isn't exactly the most innovative out there, but he does a good job explaining step by step how he work and how he synthetize and arrange the sounds. Plus the guy is very funny and has sense of humor.

It's not the type of track you want to produce, but i doubt you will find a super producer explaining all his secrets in a video. I think it's your best bet, then you have to experiment around to find your sound. Your best friends are the forums.

Really there isn't any magic, the video show the basic steps, then it's only you playing around with your creativity!

Like i said, once you know the techical aspects of mixing, a bit of syntheis, a little music theory and take your time to study other guys arrangement to see what works and what not, you are in a good place.

Maybe try to download the minus live sets pack from the ableton site, there was one with an entire track by troy pierce and heartthrob layed down. http://www.ableton.com/minus
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I think these kind of videos are really rare. For the simple reason that watching a professional producer make a track from start to finish is probably like watching paint dry. Theres prolly a ton of just listening to the same thing over and over again and thinking about it, a ton of trying to figure out a complemantary thing on a keyboard and not getting it right, take after take of mixing/arranging.

My five cents would be to read a book about whatever areas you feel you wan't to learn more about. If you don't like reading there are probably videos about it but maybe not from a making music on the computer perspective (which might be a good thing).

Now this last part might sound a bit wierd since i don't know what way you make music now but here goes. Force yourself to make the music with as little help as possible. If you usually use a DAW to click in your beats get some controller thing to play them instead. If you arrange by clicking get a few faders or something and start arranging your track by pulling faders up and down.
hubiedubie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hubiedubie »

I would talk to Keith of www.quantizecourses.com. I did a course with him over a year ago and haven't looked back. You basically create a track with him helping you and providing you with personal feedback all the way. I genuinely can't recommend him enough. It's far superior to anything from the likes of Point Blank or Berklee (and alot cheaper).