CD decks are a sham :(

- open
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

CD decks are a sham :(

Post by hairblz »

Anyone who can play with CDs, can more easily play with USB sticks. (pretty much, surely)

There have been USB players for about 5 years yet Pioneer keep making you pay for top quality CD playing utilities just so you can play from your USB.

If this isn't some shady business tactic, then what? They could easily have put out a USB player ages ago, why make people pay for CD players? Nobody has really wanted them for like five years (surely).

Argh?

Discuss
Last edited by hairblz on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: CD decks are a sham? :(

Post by Themis »

i think you are mistaken, its the opposite nobody wants USB only Player...

also there are plenty of tools i think were you can mix full digital like that

Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

For me, it's the interface in combination with the fact that every club has them as standard. I had the Numark Omni Control and I've used the Vestax one and the Pioneer all in one unit. CDJ's with the large jog wheel and +/- 6% pitch control own them all by a mile. Plus, you still have to haul that out USB controller out with a laptop and setup. Might as well do serato at the point imo.

All of the newer CDJ's have USB inputs by the way. I still like CD's better.

Honestly, I was quite happy with the Numark at home, but it reacts nothing like a CDJ. Also, the eq's and faders on all of these suck when compared to a real analogue mixer because it's all done in traktor (or whatever software you're using). It's like using the filter on a software plugin vs a hardware analogue filter. There's no comparison. The line out for each "deck" really needs to go to it's own channel on a real mixer.

For someone that doesn't intend to play out anytime soon, I think the usb controllers are great.
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Themis wrote:i think you are mistaken, its the opposite nobody wants USB only Player...
When mp3 players came out, shops stopped selling CD walkmen. Why is that? And then what makes DJ equipment so different?

People want the nice Pioneer build quality, jog wheel, buttons, and club familiarity, NOT the CD playing utility.

Look me in the eyes and tell me you would *actually* spend £300 to "upgrade" from USB to CD (say if you had Pioneer jog wheels and the rest on your mp3-Js)

The ONLY thing you gain, is putting the cd into the player. Apart from that, everything is the same??

If I'm mistaken here, please explain why you prefer cds . . . . am I missing something obvious?

(btw, cd players and mp3 players are equal in terms of digitalness, ;))

Sorry, I'm just baffled and frustrated, why would people keep spending money developing a retarded outdated spinning disk system when there seem to be absolutely no advantages over the cheaper, more reliable, less-moving-parts alternative.
Phase Ghost wrote:For me, it's the interface in combination with the fact that every club has them as standard. I had the Numark Omni Control and I've used the Vestax one and the Pioneer all in one unit. CDJ's with the large jog wheel and +/- 6% pitch control own them all by a mile. Plus, you still have to haul that out USB controller out with a laptop and setup. Might as well do serato at the point imo.

All of the newer CDJ's have USB inputs by the way. I still like CD's better.

Honestly, I was quite happy with the Numark at home, but it reacts nothing like a CDJ. Also, the eq's and faders on all of these suck when compared to a real analogue mixer because it's all done in traktor (or whatever software you're using). It's like using the filter on a software plugin vs a hardware analogue filter. There's no comparison. The line out for each "deck" really needs to go to it's own channel on a real mixer.

For someone that doesn't intend to play out anytime soon, I think the usb controllers are great.
You pretty much agree with me, by the sounds of this post. You didn't mention any benefits of the actual CD playing, it's all about the good jog wheel etc.

I'm with you on analogue mixers. With mp3-Js instead of cd players, everything works exactly the same, same sound quality restrictions, sound comes out of the player, into the mixer, no laptop required everything is exactly the same, except you wouldn't have to pay for an inneficient means of data transfer.

mp3-J is in no way related to USB controller, btw.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'd rather play wav files off a CD than mp3 off a USB stick.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hairblz wrote: When mp3 players came out, shops stopped selling CD walkmen. Why is that?
thats easy, cause if you want to hear music on the way, you want a device as small as possible. the MP3 Player did replace the walkmen cause its smaller not because its MP3 !

this need for smaller devices just doesnt exist with DJ Equipment... its as simple as that, there is a technology that works great - yeah there is also a technology which is a little bit smaller and works the same way, but does it justify a new device? i think not. they just incorporated it into the old devices.

and last but not least it has no style - showing up in a club with nothing but an USB-Stick is just lol.
the next idea is to make your music collection online available and download it into the Player if you arrive at a Club. Then you dont have to carry anything :D
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

no need to download anything, it's all in the cloud :)