fatten up bassline plugin

- ask away
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: fatten up bassline plugin

Post by hNRk »

so lets make this a little more practical....

in order to tune my baseline to my kick there are two problems:

1) i layered my kick out of 3 different kick drums. how do i find out the key of this layered kick?

2) i use a decent analog 3 ocs. synth. and i only use one note at a time. but the 3 ocs. make a chord. for example one osc is tuned up 7 semitones, the other is tuned 3 semitones. can i now say that the note i put in ableton, lets say a G, is the key of my baseline to which i can tune my kick? allthough there are 3 detuned osc's are running?

plus:

how exactly do you eq your baseline and kick?

which frequencies do you cut out of the bass, which out of the kick?

which frequencies do you boost?

i often heard that you should highcut your bass at like 40 hz or 20 hz or sth. but my experience is when i use the 8 eq from ableton to cut the bass at this freq it looses ALOT of its subfrequencies and a lot of its pressure?! does this tip suck? or am i doing sth wrong?

apart do you use rather long base notes or short base notes? long release time or short release time?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

To answer a few of those:

My kicks are made from one oscillator with a very quick noise burst at the very beginning that doesn't have any real impact on the fundamental note. I'm not sure how you would find the root note for something with 3 layers. How exactly are you layering your kicks? Multiple synthesized tones? One synthesized and two acoustic kicks? Either way, 3 sounds like too many. Many people get good results layering an acoustic kick with a synthesized kick. The acoustic is generally pitched to the synthesized one and highpassed though....I think. Maybe someone who has success with the layering method can chime in. Layering down low can turn into mud very easy.

Can you turn off the oscillators you are using for your bass? Personally, I use one oscillator for my bass. I will play other notes at the same time as the bass sometimes, but they are generally an octave up at least.

Aside from hi-passing the kick as mentioned earlier, I don't eq the kick or bass at all.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Different subject to making stupid chords with bass. This dont work, 5th always work but it's a mile away from making a triad bass sound 'to make it thicker' what the fck?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

'Mud' to you might be 'thicker' to someone else.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Btw, how do you tune your bass with the 808? I find that even if i use a G or D note it clash with the kick. I think this has to do with the rapid pitch decay of the 808. Besides that, it would be cool to use melodic basslines instead of one note bassliness, hod do you approach the tuning in this case? Even if your basslines is in the same key, if you dont use the same exact note of the kick it's sound strange (im talking about 808, other kick and it sound fine).
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

How exactly are you layering your kicks?
most of the time i use 3 samples. 1 for the bottom, 1 for mid, 1 for the higher part. i eq them so they dont clash.
to get the key maybe one should tune them separately, each to the same note. so the result will have the same note cause all are tuned equally.
when you guys layer your kicks, are the different kicksamples or whatever always the same note?
I will play other notes at the same time as the bass sometimes, but they are generally an octave up at least.
what exactly do you mean with other notes? other bass notes?
This dont work, 5th always work but it's a mile away from making a triad bass sound 'to make it thicker' what the fck?
you mean the bass and kick a 5th apart? what do you usually put higher the bass or kick?
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Yeah, i spectrum analyze everything... But my point is that if i have the 808 in standard tune (49 hz G), and i play a bass note in 49hz g underneath, it sounds almost out of tune, you hear this disturbing click. This is even more pronuenced if i use the fifth, D.

This happens because of the weird pitch curve of the 808. I can sometimes lessen the problem turning off quantize and programming the bass some ms forward of the kick, but the the clicky sound doesn't disappear completely.

Dunno, maybe im over complicating things and this click happens to everyone, but in all the commercial songs i hear this smooth bass coupled with the 808 and i wonder how they tune it to minimize the clicky problem.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

I think in a club environment, with the 808 hundred of decibels loud, this click problem can be very pronounced, this is why i want to get rid of it, more than for home listening