modular etc etc

- ask away
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: modular etc etc

Post by omnipresence »

Controlling sequencer patterns with an envelope is a fairly alien concept for non-modular dudes. I guess it's one of those things where if you embrace it (not just env > seq specifically) it can really free things up and exponentially expand possibilities!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:..... etc....etc.. control voltages .....impossible to explain in words -sorry
I think you mentioned your sequencing setup before. There were things that I just didn't understand before, like how could a 8-step sequencer make a sequence of more than 8 steps. I was completely taken by the idea of analogue sequencing after you explained it a bit and I am sure there is still much I don't understand that is going to open up a whole new world of possibilities.

I think I need to get some hands on time with a A154.
oblioblioblio wrote: Good luck with it all Lem. Analogue FM is really where the party is at. well one party at least.

Get yourself a triangle core VCO with a wavefolder like the Malekko Wiard Anti Oscillator and you'll really start dancing around the room about analogue FM.

Also an Attack decay generator with nice slopes and a Buchla style Low Pass Gass. Who needs reverb?
I do want some decent oscillators, but there are a lot to choose from and unless I can get hands on with them it is a little bit wasted on me.
The low-pass gate thing I don't quite understand yet. People swear by the QMMG, probably the most sought after module I know. But I am still a bit unsure what benefit a lot of the Buchla-esque stuff will have on my music.

p.s you really like Malekko stuff doncha!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

LPGs are really fantastic imo. Sometimes you just want a regular VCA but an LPG adds a certain something to your amplitude or frequency manipulation pallette.

The QMMG didn't do anything special for an LPG I don't think but it packed a lot of features into a very convenient package. There are some clones of Buchla LPGs floating around the DIY world that would be easy to do and would get you to the same places as a QMMG.

I do love the Malekko stuff. The engineer/designer Grant Richter is someone who I really respect. He takes some different philosphies such as Moog styles and Buchla styles as well as adding his own brushstrokes. He obviously spends a lot of time making his own music and the layouts and designs of his synth really reflect that and I really respond to them.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Sequencer is working!! So much love for two LED's blinking away. I need a girlfriend...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:Sequencer is working!! So much love for two LED's blinking away. I need a girlfriend...
can't help you there bruv
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

omnipresence wrote:Controlling sequencer patterns with an envelope is a fairly alien concept for non-modular dudes. I guess it's one of those things where if you embrace it (not just env > seq specifically) it can really free things up and exponentially expand possibilities!
it would have been an alien concept for me too before i started building my rig.

you are only limited by your imagination, when that runs out, theres always (*)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

omnipresence wrote:Controlling sequencer patterns with an envelope is a fairly alien concept for non-modular dudes. I guess it's one of those things where if you embrace it (not just env > seq specifically) it can really free things up and exponentially expand possibilities!
when you have the module in front of you, you can understand it in a second.

analogue is some of the simplest technology available. it's just simple messages between musical machines. on or off. a level changing over a small period of time. a level controlling the pitch of something.

I actually believe it makes synthesis and sequencing easier to understand. If you have a prewired synth it's just a box. But if you connect all the parts yourself with patc cables you know exactly what is talking to what.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:
lem wrote:Sequencer is working!! So much love for two LED's blinking away. I need a girlfriend...
can't help you there bruv
I actually have a girlfriend she's really good about me nerding out all the time.