mnml newbie

who can recreat this? [prochallenge] -_-

Post by hNRk »

hi guys,

i did the following loop:

http://soundcloud.com/hnrk/full

in this loop there is this element:

http://soundcloud.com/hnrk/half

within the loop it sounds almost ok. played alone you'll hear that there are quite some delays too much an that its not really clean.

the problem now is that i want to clean snd tighten this element up but i only have this element as audio. i did it originally with the surge vst. and the build in delay effect did this nice pulsating groove. if i only had the original parameter settings for surge i could get it straight. but for some reason i ended up having only the audio (which is not really editable as required) and i deleted the surge parameter settings.

by now i already spent hours and hours trying to recreate that sh!t with surge but couldnt get it. i also tried alchemy with its stepsequencer and some delay on it, but same here. hours and hours.... its kinda hard to get it exactly the way i want it.

so my question is if theres someone who can get this type of rolling groove? allthough its a little messed up i think one clearly hears the basic pattern out of this element. i dont care much about the tone it self as more about this grooving delayed echo kind of thing :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: who can recreat this? [prochallenge] -_-

Post by AK »

hNRk wrote:hi guys,

i did the following loop:

within the loop it sounds almost ok.
A sound such as a loop is the sum of its parts. If it sounds ok in the context it is meant for, why the need to 'clean it up'? Some sounds don't always seem exciting when isolated but put into a mix of other elements, they then find their role.

Anyway, if you made it on a VSTi, why go to another different VSTi to try and recreate it? Surely it would make sense to try and recreate it on the same VSTi no?

I just had a listen. It seems to mirror exactly the groove of the entire pattern of that beat. Some really quick ideas might be some vocoding of that beat coupled with filters and mangling. Some type of envelope follower, if you have Reason you can easily REX file your beat, route CV to say a synth or whatever to mimic the rhythmic behaviour of the beat and create a synthesized sound which follows it perfectly. The trick in that would again be to experiment.

There's probably a lot of ways you could get there. I am tied up though at the minute so those are just very quick guesses.
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

why the need to 'clean it up'?

in the course of the track im running some effects on that line. like some chorus with an overdrive on it. when applying those to that line the messy parts come through :/
apart i want to have it with midi notes so i can alter the pattern through out the track. plus attack and release settings i want to slightly change.
Some type of envelope follower

yeah envelope follower would probably be the quick and dirty version. gonna try it out. is there an enevelope follower thing for ableton? but good idea thx!
vocoding of that beat coupled with filters and mangling
what exactly do you mean?

well this is probably hard to tell: but what kind of delay settings are creating this kind of groove? i know that i used different delay times for the left and the right pan... and probably a low feedback rate?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

my recommendation... get reaktor, the finger, effectrix or dblue glitch... one of those cool multi effect programs... play the loop with the beat... and record your results as you are tweaking the sound with the effects plugin...

then take this recording and lace peices over the original one and mix them cutting/in out... no rules here... use effects fades, double up sounds, etc... This can be most tedious and most fun at the same time... but you can really make stuff come out in 3D out of a single loop this way and make it feel like its constantly evolving.

my other opinion is that its just a loop. make another one. but maybe there is an emotional element to this... somebody died or you lost a girlfriend, job and this is the result... in that case keep those emotions going and turn it into a painting instead of a sketch.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest