modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

i would agree with 155/154 being one of the best modular sequencers you can get.

it ended up annoying me a bit, but the main sequencer in my system now is not that far away from a similar design to 155/154. Although it has some tweaks that i like, such as the slide being after the octave / transpose controls, taking up less space, and voltage controlled access working at the same time as stepping.

But i'm not making music with as tight a focus on rhythm, so I can get away with a slightly less involved sequencing system. If i was making dancefloor music I would be all over a similar system to steevios.

-smurf
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

oblioblioblio wrote:i'm at 18u and i'm done forever
:lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

lol.

well, i can't really go any further due to finances and space and i just have to learn what i have. but there's a nagging feeling that i've been saying that for the last year. (-)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Yeah, the A-155 / A-154 combo is still the king. The massive king. There are a few mockup's for new one's floating around. I think this one has potential: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50189

I especially like the option to choose a reset location. However, the lack of switches for trigger off is a no deal. They are talking about an expander, so who knows. Maybe they'll update the design. Those push/pull pots (like on the SQ8) are perfect for this.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:
lem wrote:What do you think of the Tiptop Z8000?
haha thats really weird, i just sat down at my pC to send Gur of Tiptop a message because ive been having a weird problem with my Z8000.

the Z8000 is a CV sequencer, its no good for triggering stuff really (although theorectically you can but not very usefully). i use mine for accents and volume control on VCAs which is not using it to its capabilities really, but until ive got something which can take its place i've got no choice.
if i was using it for what i really want to i'd be creating patterns to send to a quantizer for melodies /note sequences.

the A155/154 combo is the way to go for sequencing, you can get some real crazy sh!t happening. ive got two, one for solid 4/4 type grooves, the other for polyrhythms and complex sequences to mix with it, but of course you arent limited to that, thats just how ive got it set up
Im probably not going to get any sequencer bits until I have checked out your setup. There are some things that I can't quite get my head around.

I was thinking of feeding one of the CV's from the Tiptop into a comparator to output gates/triggers. The attractive things about the Tiptop is the amount different sequencers in such a small HP.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote:
lem wrote:What do you think of the Tiptop Z8000?
haha thats really weird, i just sat down at my pC to send Gur of Tiptop a message because ive been having a weird problem with my Z8000.

the Z8000 is a CV sequencer, its no good for triggering stuff really (although theorectically you can but not very usefully). i use mine for accents and volume control on VCAs which is not using it to its capabilities really, but until ive got something which can take its place i've got no choice.
if i was using it for what i really want to i'd be creating patterns to send to a quantizer for melodies /note sequences.

the A155/154 combo is the way to go for sequencing, you can get some real crazy sh!t happening. ive got two, one for solid 4/4 type grooves, the other for polyrhythms and complex sequences to mix with it, but of course you arent limited to that, thats just how ive got it set up
Im probably not going to get any sequencer bits until I have checked out your setup. There are some things that I can't quite get my head around.

I was thinking of feeding one of the CV's from the Tiptop into a comparator to output gates/triggers. The attractive things about the Tiptop is the amount different sequencers in such a small HP.
its well worth waiting a few weeks mate, there are many limitations to the Z8000, which arent aparent till you start using it.

if you can afford 2 x A155/154s you'll be sorted for years, the power of the A154 isnt apparent till you start using it.
those CV inputs on the mode select / first / last step turn the A155/154 into infitely complex sequencer, imagine putting the outputs of different LFOs and envelopes into those inputs - wildness
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

man....!!...i am sold by reading this post about the A155/154
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Oh don't worry, I'm not in a massive rush to spend more money! Making up panels for my attenuators and switched multiples now, cables tomorrow! Any penny saved now is going towards a sequencing setup. It's probably gonna be about £700 for a fair sequencing setup. In the meantime I am going to test my homebrew 8 step sequencer.

I should have all my kit by friday! Which is bound to keep me going until I make it to Wales.