modular etc etc

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by lem »

oblioblioblio wrote:I don't like stackcables.

-smurf
Why's that?

Have you thought about Y-cables?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

It was partially becuase I got some mult panels free with some modules that I bought. But I prefer them somehow. I have some mult panels at some significant places in my case (i.e. near my CV sources) and it's quite easy to patch in a mult if I need to.

The stackcables have been known to cause issues in some modules becuase they can bridge connections in some jacks (they are slightly bigger than 3.5mm). Some other manufacturers had to redesign their modules to protect against this. No-one here has reported anything funny about them, so I think issues are rare. (and apparantly 3.5mm cables are notoriously variable with almost all manufacturers varying in their measurements, so it's not just tiptops fault).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i made up some y-cables and i never use them, i also dont use any of the DIY cables i made up, the plugs are too big.

i honestly can say that buying good quality patchcords is a must, and that while theres the odd person like oblio thats doesnt like stackcables ( let us know why mark ) there's thousands who swear by them.

i absolutely swear by them they make life so easy if you have complicated patches.
for instance i've got a switched multiple to distribute my clock divisions and ive got a stackcable in each socket, so if i want to send a particular division to more than one place, i can just stick another patch cord in the stack cable, and again at the other end of the stackcable ive got another outlet to send that division to another gate etc..

it really depends how you use your modular, if you're doing the techno /sequence thing, then i dont know how i'd manage without stackcables
anyway you'll see bro
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:It was partially becuase I got some mult panels free with some modules that I bought. But I prefer them somehow. I have some mult panels at some significant places in my case (i.e. near my CV sources) and it's quite easy to patch in a mult if I need to.

The stackcables have been known to cause issues in some modules becuase they can bridge connections in some jacks (they are slightly bigger than 3.5mm). Some other manufacturers had to redesign their modules to protect against this. No-one here has reported anything funny about them, so I think issues are rare. (and apparantly 3.5mm cables are notoriously variable with almost all manufacturers varying in their measurements, so it's not just tiptops fault).
i think ive got about 25 stackcables, been using them without any problems for two years,

i need more
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:i made up some y-cables and i never use them, i also dont use any of the DIY cables i made up, the plugs are too big.
Did you not think about heat shrink? One of my favorite inventions! :lol:
steevio wrote: ...anyway you'll see bro
Yeah I'm looking forward to the education. My wallet isn't. But I am.
I think things will change when I start thinking about sequencing, but I think I am quite a way off that at the moment. Will probably need a seperate case for all that!

I am really interested in the sequencing but I can't really understand it without doing it.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

I like my stackables too. i only have 6 - 3 red and 3 yellow. the shorter red ones nearly always make an appearance but the yellows not so much...

@steevio just a heads up - Post modular have a batch of yellow stacks in stack right now
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Have postmodular got a demo room or anything like that? or is it strictly online sales?
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

lem wrote:Have postmodular got a demo room or anything like that? or is it strictly online sales?
Just online sales. I have picked up from his house before to save postage. He's a very nice guy, but doesn't have a load of stock setup to test.

heard good things about the Schniders bit in rough trade but i have never made it down there...