Why do you produce music?

- ask away
qfactor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Why do you produce music?

Post by qfactor »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music? Do you want to be famous and rich? Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene? Can you actually do with? Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music? Is it good enough? Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make? Can you improve what its missing? Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
spire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Why do you produce music?

Post by spire »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
No, the only purpose is the act of creating the music, instead of simply being the listener.

Do you want to be famous and rich?
It would be nice, but I'm in the US and being rich and famous from techno is far-fetched to say the least.

Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene?
Absolutely. Other artists inspire me to try and create beautiful works, but as of right now, I don't think I contribute anything worthwhile.

Can you actually do with?
What? :roll:

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?
No. Maybe in the future when my skills are up to par with the big name artists, but at the moment, no.

Is it good enough?
My music? Not quite, but I've certainly heard worse from others.

Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
Sometimes. But usually I get discouraged within the first hour of even starting a track and rarely ever 'complete' any music.

Can you improve what its missing?
Identifying what is missing is the first step, which is where I am stuck at now. Once I can realize what my productions are lacking, maybe then I can progress my sound closer to what I like in relation to what I hear other artists doing.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
Tricky question. Sometimes I listen to others' music and think to myself "Wow, I could never do anything like this." But I think with enough time and practice, you could learn everything necessary to duplicate the sounds of your favorite artist.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yes it's fun and i can't think of anything better to do. it makes me who i am.

i don't care about fame but we live in a capitalist world where money is needed to survive. being rich takes away a lot of stress because you don't have to worry about how your going to pay the rent. i don't really see what this has to do with electronic music? there are only a handful of people in these genres who can afford an Aston Martin or Bentley

yes

do with what?

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?

yes i wouldn't have studied at university if i didn't think there was a chance.

Is it good enough?

what my music? good enough for what?

some of them, i make music for myself first so if i put the effort into finishing them i must feel some satisfaction. some times i just give up and bin them when i'm not satisfied.

you can't possibly have it all. yes some monitors would really help. thats whats holding me back at the moment.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?

both
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I had a cheeky answer lined up when I saw the title. I'll answer for real instead..........

To have fun. I really can't think of another answer.

Rich yes; Famous no. Speaking of which, I need to play the lottery

I think we all would

This question is incomplete

Perhaps. I don't think I'd ever try to pursue that though. Being a touring dj is the only way to do that today and I prefer to just chill at home and make music. Plus, I'm much more of a opening dj then a headliner. No "bangers" in my box.

Is it good enough?

It's good for smoky techno clubs.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Artists always feel like they can improve on their work.

I can try to.

Any skill worth having takes time, dedication and love. I've been making music for over 10 years and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

I'm not totally sure what you're looking for with these questions. But, I will say that if you (or anyone) is making music for any reason other than the love of making music, I feel bad for you. If you're scouring the internet for tips on how to make the next "hot track" or whatever, you're missing the point.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

qfactor wrote:Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music? Do you want to be famous and rich? Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene? Can you actually do with? Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music? Is it good enough? Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make? Can you improve what its missing? Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
Self realization and sharing my experiences with through music with the world.

Yes but just so I can buy more gear, eat healthy food, hang with like minded people and have a focused lifestyle. My dream would be to setup several studios and fly all my friends in to come and party and write music.

Of course when the time is right. just like music styles, scenes come and go. Got to catch a good wave.

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music? Is it good enough?
Yes. There are hundreds/Thousands of others doing this. Its a matter of when.

Most of the times no but there is a handful that keep me going. Music creation for me has very little to do with whether I'm satisfied with it. I enjoy doing it.

Not sure what it is missing.

It can definitely be developed. When I started with music (11years) I had very little understanding of it and I couldn't even clap to a beat.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

qfactor wrote:Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
No, I do it just for fun.
Rich yes, famous no. It's more likely to win the lottery than to become rich by making techno though.
Yes, but I have no talent.

Don't understand the question.
No. I'm turning 35 in 2 weeks and I've never released anything. It's quite obvious that I lack musical talent.

Is it good enough?
Huh?
I've made a few that I'm kinda satisfied with. Still, I'm light-years away from REALLY being satisfied.

Probably not. I feel I've plateaued.
A bit of both. However, if you lack the talent, the amount of work needed is staggering and probably not worth spending the 10000 or so hours.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

1:
Yes, I think it's part of the nature of my being to have creative outlets, I'm not the same person if I am to be denied these pursuits. Music for me, is an art form carrying a huge amount of aesthetic appeal and beauty. The exploration and interpretation of sound into a piece of music carries a huge amount of fascination because of the extreme amount of creativity possible. From an artistic perspective, I chose electronic music because of the open ended way in which to realise sounds. I think the main thing though, if we were to get deeper into the reasons, is that I feel music connects me in a spiritual sense to everything that is because of the nature of sound and vibration. Sound/vibration is everything and you are intrisically connected to it whether you realise it or not.

2:
No and not bothered. Neither one of those would ever be the driving force behind me making music.

3:
I'm not in anybody's 'scene'. I couldn't give a monkey's about that, the word 'contribution' is not the correct word for me. I'm not interested in 'contributing' music to anything as that would feel like creative dictatorship where I felt the need to conform to current musical fashion. I'll write whatever I feel is natural to me, whether that gets perceived as sh!t, brilliant, cliche'd, or just plain weird then so be it. I think as a musician/composer - which anybody creating music essentially is, you need to get past the idea of making music to fit in with other peoples ideas of music. That's the only way you will ever open up to your true self and the only way you will ever find your own sound and style.

4:
That question makes no sense at all.

5:
Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music? Is it good enough?
Again, not a driving force and the question itself implies that the ultimate goal is to obtain financial gain from music. This is the kind of mindset many newcomers to music carry, they can't understand that the first and foremost reason for making music is to make music. Is my music releasable though? If there were any music to release at the moment, I'd be confident it would get picked up somewhere but it's not something that I'm in a hurry to do, I feel I can write music to a releasable standard and I ( we, I should put there ) have done some yrs ago, I have also wrote short jingles from a brief on a number of occasions - although currently, my studio environment and acoustics could pose a lot of mixdown issues. Anyway, I'm currently more concerned with doing an albums worth of material but I'm also in the process of getting my studio sh!t together, learning the new gear I have acquired and keeping up with the hard work that is my job so it's not something I ever think about.

6:
Satisfied is probably the right word here. There's always the danger of adding or editing and potentially, a track is never finished. You just have to decide to yourself that it has reached the point of completion and conveys what you intended.

7:
This question doesn't make sense either. How can you improve on what's missing? If something isn't there, then there's no reference for improvement.

8:
Some people are always going to fall into things more naturally than others, I came to music through art. I was always naturally good at drawing and painting at school, never having to put any effort into it to get A grades. I did a painting which ended up getting used as a standard peice to judge the following yrs A grades on and went through college and higher education in art and design. During my teens, I got into music through the Electro/Breakdance scene where I was an active grafitti artist ( ahem - illegal ) and started off doing mix tapes using a simple double cassette deck and turntable. From there I got into drum machines and eventually synths. I was quick to learn how to play a keyboard - although I'm unorthadox never having had proper schooling in that dept but when it came to writing a whole track, it was alien to me. It wasn't like drawing where I'd just be off doodling, I knew this would take time and perseverance.

Some people are considered geniuses but hear this, anybody who thinks they don't work at it is mistaken: Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. Your open-mindedness, willingness to learn and dedication will ultimately dictate how good you'll be. A lot of people shy away from aspects of music thinking it isn't necessary for them to learn it. Usually things like music theory and keyboard playing for electronic musicians, I believe those 2 things would greatly increase the potential of anyone producing music. I want to improve my keyboard skills, one of my musical heroes is Herbie Hancock - who, I think is a musical prodigy and one of a very few true geniuses in our time, now while I doubt I'd ever reach his level of skill, the very nature of how I come to realise musical ideas is through 2 handed keyboard playing, bass, chords, harmony, leads, they're all there to be pulled out and applied to various sounds as a workable idea. With that in mind, it makes sense that I should develop this technique into the very best within my capability but I simply wont without a great deal of practise and dedication and those are the 2 words that ring out above anything for this question.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Its fun, plus I think I might be addicted to it.

Not fussed either way. I just want to live off music, that is all.

Of course. Who would want to contibute sh!t music?

Yes

Yes. Sometimes I have very bad days though where I just want to stop and I think my music is sh!t.

Is it good enough?

Yes

Sometimes

Can you improve what its missing? Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?

My theory is that there is a very small % that are just gifted and then there are those who have to work a little bit harder. I just need time, which I dont get a lot of. I get a few hours a week to make some music, but need lots more.