my work here is done,

go forth and arpeggiate !

:)
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: SH-101 Mains Hum

Post by agodi »

Fair play steevio, you explained it a lot better than I could.
One advantage to using the internal sequencer is that you can use the legato to slide beween notes. Heres a 303 style patch that'll make good use of it.
http://www.geuggis.com/tb-303/psh101.htm
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

agodi wrote:Fair play steevio, you explained it a lot better than I could.
One advantage to using the internal sequencer is that you can use the legato to slide beween notes. Heres a 303 style patch that'll make good use of it.
http://www.geuggis.com/tb-303/psh101.htm
Nice one mate, I'll check that out. The sequencer on the 101 kinda gets me lost at times, I keep forgetting where I am along the sequence in terms of what rests I have used, what notes and sp on. I'm using visual references for that by getting playing a bass into my daw app and then copying the pattern of notes/rests into the 101, not done anything with the legato yet but intend on getting the most out of it now the sync is sorted to a tee.

BTW: Anyone know about that PSU noise that gets into the audio I record?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
Nice one mate, I'll check that out. The sequencer on the 101 kinda gets me lost at times, I keep forgetting where I am along the sequence in terms of what rests I have used, what notes and sp on. I'm using visual references for that by getting playing a bass into my daw app and then copying the pattern of notes/rests into the 101, not done anything with the legato yet but intend on getting the most out of it now the sync is sorted to a tee.

BTW: Anyone know about that PSU noise that gets into the audio I record?
i used to play live with a 101 at one time and i programmed the sequences in on the fly, its easy once you get the hang of it.
i'm sure PSU noise could get into the audio on an analogue synth.

just a note about trying to emulate a 303 with a 101, its impossible, as most of the main characteristics which make the 303 so unique are missing on the 101, like accent for instance. the 101 is not velocity sensitive.
also the 303 has a unique slide which starts at the start of next note to the programmed note and finishes just before reaching the next note, its not like normal portmento, and is what gives the 303 its funk.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah, I'm pretty much getting there in regard to the sequencer, just not used to entering stuff without a visual reference. I was never a big fan of acid or the 303 but still fun doing the squelchy thing. If I actually wrote lead sounds in music, I'd be more interested in some crazy top line sequences but I'm not. I like to hint at melody from various things rather than have a single synth playing one outright. It does make nice acid sounds though, not of a 303 nature, just different but still worthy.
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Its a poor mans 303!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

poor mans 303 my arse.

go listen to early Autechre like their early thing on Skam 'Lego feet', or 'Eggshell'.

Or earlier Mathew Jonson. His stuff is more or less only made by 101s.

303 is a one trick pony.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

agodi wrote:Its a poor mans 303!
Poor mans 303? It doesn't even want to be a 303, in fact I hate that you even put it as a comparison. I can't stand the 303 sound but like the sound of the 101, it's about as close as a cat and a dog are to being the same thing. Daftest statement of 2012 thus far!