Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Post by lem »

isaaclevy wrote:I downloaded a very complete set of samples from each of the instruments from it, but i cant find the forum where i got them, i do still have them in a ZIP file if you want....it is 30.4MB.

i must say i liked the sound a lot.
Yeah that could be useful bro. I was more interested in the relationship between each hit, but it would be good to compare the quality of the samples to some real 808 samples I have.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think me and Lem said pretty much the same thing at the same time :D
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

ok, here it is, the guy said it has no compression, no eq, etc, you know.....

link:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/16 ... %20522.zip

EDIT.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:100% analogue signal path isnt everything though, digital control elements such as envelopes, LFOs etc. can have a large bearing on the quality of a synth, and DCOs arent all created equal either.

my own experience of hybrid analogue/digital synths has generally been dissappointing, nowadays it has to be 100% analogue for me, and thats not in some purist, evangelical way, i've just found that the quality is generally better, its almost inevetiably the digital elements which go wrong, or stop the synth from breathing
I can't really say much for DCO synths, I thought the Juno 6 I had a go on sound really thin without the chorus. Compared to my polysix which seems to do what it wants to do most of the time. It's like its self aware or something. -urk
Other than that and the DSI Evo thats probably my whole experience with DCO synths. Kawai Sx-240 sounds sick, but I will probably never get to play one and never have the (spare) money to buy one. But I have so little experience with DCO synths that I don't think I can make a fair judgment.

Like Steevio said, things with rare chips in them (like a Juno) scare me a little bit. VCO or not, I would think long and hard about buying a vintage synth again.
Last edited by lem on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Nice cheers Isaac! ;)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

my experience of DCO synths are;
Juno 106
Prophet 08
Alesis Andromeda (although its not strictly DCO but digitally tuned VCO)

i very rarely sell synths, but i sold all three due to overall lacklustreness, the 106 was probably the best of the bunch, but still a bit sterile.
i've only ever sold one pure analogue synth, that was a TB303 but i had two of them which was a bit over the top to be fair.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote: VCO or not, I would think long and hard about buying a vintage synth again.
I've had worse experiences with newer stuff as it goes. There's only one company who's products have never developed issues with me and that's Roland. I haven't bought any Roland gear though that could be considered new, I think the most recent thing I owned made by them was a JV1080, everything has been very solid. Korg on the other hand have given me a sh!t experience and the wankers at korg UK just made that experience worse. I bought 3 brand new things a few yrs ago and within 2 yrs, they had all fucked up. Fuse issue on an EMX1 and other strange things on 2 more electribes. Yamaha have been pretty good as far as the small amount of Yamaha gear I've had goes but I have never had issues with older gear. Maybe I've been lucky? I dunno.

One thing I will say though, after my own experiences with new gear and reading about nightmares on the net, then stuff like the encoders on DSI, it makes me scared to even look at a synth. Do they make them like they used to? I doubt there's many things out there that are going to be functioning perfectly in 30 yrs time. My Korg stuff died 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. Oh, you can add the Korg Legacy controller to that too, the MS20 thing. That fucked up. man, I'm never buying Korg again.

Moog stuff looks solid but never owned any, but I'd still be a bit worried whatever I bought nowadays, I think I actually have more confidence in older stuff.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Anyway, I was wanting some DCO stuff for poly. Just chords and that kind of thing but I'm not sure whether I might be better off just getting a VA like a Virus or a Nord or whatever for that kind of stuff. I always wanted to get a Juno 106 or an Alpha Juno but I'm not sure whether I'm gonna be disappointed. There's a ( Korg -frown 2 ) DW8000 going that I know of for £200, ok, sampled waveforms as oscillators on that but it has analogue filters and got me thinking for a while and checking audio demos.