Dave Smith Evolver

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Dave Smith Evolver

Post by AK »

Never owned any of these products but that encoder thing was a shocking read. Incidently, I was amazed how many Tempest drum machines have appeared on ebay already.... (-)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I gotta say that I havent heard one good tempest demo. Although I dout they have the same encoders as the duff prophets....
....i dont kno if its just a prophet thing. I would have thought they would use the same encoders as the p8.. but the problem doesnt seem so common for the (older) evo....
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:I gotta say that I havent heard one good tempest demo. Although I dout they have the same encoders as the duff prophets....
....i dont kno if its just a prophet thing. I would have thought they would use the same encoders as the p8.. but the problem doesnt seem so common for the (older) evo....
I don't think I have ever mentioned it on here really, I kept my mouth shut as some people were thinking of getting it but I was following the 50 - odd page thread on gearslutz for ages when the hype was around regarding the Tempest and I never got past the opinion that I may as well be listening to a VST drum synth. I appreciate everyone has different tastes but I have yet to hear a DSI product I actually like. I've tried really hard to like them but I just can't. :(

That said, if you include Sequential, I'd gladly take a Pro-One.....
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

AK wrote:
lem wrote:I gotta say that I havent heard one good tempest demo. Although I dout they have the same encoders as the duff prophets....
I don't think I have ever mentioned it on here really, I kept my mouth shut as some people were thinking of getting it but I was following the 50 - odd page thread on gearslutz for ages when the hype was around regarding the Tempest and I never got past the opinion that I may as well be listening to a VST drum synth. I appreciate everyone has different tastes but I have yet to hear a DSI product I actually like. I've tried really hard to like them but I just can't. :(

what bugs me more than anything about the tempest is its interface.
I mean, come on ! one look at the video's will show you it's not intuitive at all to program.
I'm glad I decided to get me an xbase888, I doubt I'll ever regret not getting a tempest...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Hades wrote:
AK wrote:

I mean, come on ! one look at the video's will show you it's not intuitive at all to program.
I'm glad I decided to get me an xbase888, I doubt I'll ever regret not getting a tempest...
What bugs me more about the tempest is the sound! It just sounds like an Evolver, but it costs a million pounds? Ok exaggeration maybe....But it seems way over priced for the market.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lem wrote:
Hades wrote:
AK wrote:

What bugs me more about the tempest is the sound! It just sounds like an Evolver, but it costs a million pounds? Ok exaggeration maybe....But it seems way over priced for the market.
doesn't it have way more voices than an evolver?

i had a brief moment with the tempest its very pretty and i love the form factor. Pretty simple to use and program, way more so than the elektron instruments.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

I have no dog in the race, but the Tempest OS isn't even finished yet. It is a bit early to say what it is and isn't.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Casanova808 wrote:I have no dog in the race, but the Tempest OS isn't even finished yet. It is a bit early to say what it is and isn't.
Thats a whole new can of worms there! Why release something that isn't finished?

Also I think certain instruments need time before people learn how to use them properly (or improperly) like the 303...
hydrogen wrote:doesn't it have way more voices than an evolver?

i had a brief moment with the tempest its very pretty and i love the form factor. Pretty simple to use and program, way more so than the elektron instruments.
Yeah it must have way more voices, but I can't help but feel that it sounds across between a circuit bent drum machine and an evolver....