Artwork/Packaging

- ask away
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Artwork/Packaging

Post by devontodetroit »

I *think* this is the appropriate forum for this discussion, So here's the question;

I really want the opinions of artists that have released material in the past about the different elements that go into creating the artwork that is bundled with music when it is sold or released to the public.

I believe that artwork is massively important to help convey a concept or even just just another vehicle of expression, also for the pure fact that it looks cool! (I have even bought vinyl or a CD in the past on the strength of the cover alone)

I'm in the process of starting my own label (groan, not another label!) to release my own material and maybe other artists work that I feel is right, So obviously i'm looking for a V to go with my A ;)
I could obviously outsource it all to a random graphic designer on the net and pay my money and get them to do everything for me, But I want the same control over this aspect as I do with my music, So I ask;

1; For individual releases what written information do people include on the 'sleeve' (This will predominately be a netlabel but I will be doing very small runs of vinyl) aside from artist name and catalog number.. Is a catalog number even relevant anymore?
2; Are there any rules or guides for doing this?

Basically I want to kick off a discussion about this topic as there seems to be some seriously clued up people on this board, So share your knowledge!

Thanks in advance and feel free to post any links that you might have, Thanks!

DTD.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Artwork/Packaging

Post by steevio »

probably the production forum is the wrong one mate.

you should use a catalogue number imo, you'll need one if you press vinyl. it will be scratched on the laquer at the cut, and everything from then on relates to it e.g. for synching up the right centre labels to the right vinyl at the plant.

also good for Discogs.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

This is going to sound crappy, but pick five to ten labels you really like, and steal bits and pieces from each of them.

There are no rules to this sh!t. Don't look for the "right" way, just do what you like and do that consistently. Believe it or not, people really love it when you do things that are fucked up or wrong. Figure out what the rules are(by *directly* looking at the current market, not by asking on forums) and then look for clever and creative ways to break those rules(without being so weird that nobody wants to buy your stuff).

Also, artwork will not save your ass if the music sucks.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

as long as it's got the artist name, track names if they are named and catalogue number it doesn't really matter. you might want your website on there too.

other than that anything goes.

note: most DJ's are men and most men like looking at sexy ladies. having a pair of tits on a record will make the men take notice. :)
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Haha, A mixed bag of replies!

But thanks, useful posts none the less, But if there is anyone else out there that has dealt with the artwork side of releasing music please reply.. Any help is appreciated.

But I think tone-def saved the day, a big pair of baps it is man ;) cant go wrong!
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

would that alienate women buyers though?

how about a picture of a penis as well just to be safe?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

ray parry wrote:would that alienate women buyers though?

how about a picture of a penis as well just to be safe?
:lol: :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Find someone whose artwork you like and talk to them. Maybe there's a record label you know or a friend of a friend, or maybe you saw some visuals at a gig. Tell them your thoughts and what you hope to achieve from the project.

Visuals are cool. Maybe if you're technologically minded you could find a way to incorperate music and visuals outside of the traditional still image accompanying the music.