New mac - what spec

- ask away
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New mac - what spec

Post by RichardLodge »

Hey... So I'm in the Market for a new mac and just trying to work what spec to go for.

What does everyone else use?

Also these days there must be a cut off point where you no longer need to worry about CPU usage... For audio application anyway. Ideas on where that is?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: New mac - what spec

Post by tone-def »

i got a mac mini server.

2.0 quad core i7
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (i can upgrade to 16GB when/if i ever need it)
2X 500GB 7200RPM hard drives (one for your OS and software and the other for recording and projects)

i've got a 21.5" Philips Brilliance 224CL HD monitor connected to the HDMI port. looks awesome and was a bargain at £100.

you would have to spend a lot more money to get anything faster.
it's weak point is the graphics which you don't need for audio.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I'd go with the mac mini as well. That server version looks really nice. CPU usage will obviously depend on your workflow. Bang for the buck, the mac mini is hard to beat.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i'd probably do mac mini or imac. cheers! get something fast and plentiful ram.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Hadn't thought about the mac mini.. looks like a good way to go..
rcnt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rcnt »

tone-def wrote:i got a mac mini server.

2.0 quad core i7
2X 500GB 7200RPM hard drives (one for your OS and software and the other for recording and projects)

i've got a 21.5" Philips Brilliance 224CL HD monitor connected to the HDMI port. looks awesome and was a bargain at £100.

I'm also looking into Mac Mini but I don't know will I be satisfied. I'm using Logic on MacBook Black 2.4GHz, 4GB ram and my maximum is about 30 channels + 30-40 plugins loaded, after that I have overloads.

So what software do you use and what is maximum of plugins and channels on that configuration?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

rcnt wrote:
tone-def wrote:i got a mac mini server.

2.0 quad core i7

I'm also looking into Mac Mini but I don't know will I be satisfied. I'm using Logic on MacBook Black 2.4GHz, 4GB ram and my maximum is about 30 channels + 30-40 plugins loaded, after that I have overloads.

So what software do you use and what is maximum of plugins and channels on that configuration?
Is it core 2 duo? The i7's are dope as hell. It also depends on the plugins... My core 2 duo CPU dries up quickly on just a handful of instances of nebula.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
rcnt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rcnt »

Yes its C2D.

Since I'm using Maschine I'm used to make my own loops and then arrange them, so I'm using VST only for bass and pads, synths. I usualy leave bass as midi but pads and synths I usualy bounce into audio. So my CPU is going just on plugins, and 60% of plugins that I use are from Logic, I'm satisfied with them, and other 40% are Waves and others.

So I just need little more powerfull computer. MacMini sounds good but I'm also looking into some MacBookPro cheaper options but that is bit out of my price range.