Ricardo Kick

- ask away
nonplaced
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by nonplaced »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:it's true though, his kicks sound weak on most HI-Fi and nearfield monitors. but on a massive club system it's a different story.
thats the 808 effect, i know people are saying he doesnt use them, but thats exactly what happens with an 808 kick, they sound crap on most speakers but they rock through a system. they dont have any harmonics worth speaking of.
It's funny you should mention that; there's an interview with Tobias Freund online somewhere, where he mentions his 808 sounded a boomy and rubbish through Villalobos' monitoring setup. That along with the latter's preference for 'understated' kicks seems to imply the €40,000 speakers aren't all that.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: like Hashim-The Soul, Planet Rock etc and both of those have 808 kicks yet still manage to create presence on speakers which probably cut off about 80hz or so. I think though, they tended to really shorten the kick to take all the sub out of it and then apply gate reverb to elongate the attack portion of the sound or something.
using a short decay on the 808 kick wont really take the sub out of it, just reduce its impact. (ignoring the click its pretty much just a 56 Hz sinewave that goes slightly flat over a long decay)
back in 1983 they were still using basic rock music studio techniques, probably just analogue EQ, maybe compression but probably only on the whole mix, and yes gated reverbs were being well overused in the rock and pop industry back then, especially on snaredrums.
Last edited by steevio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i somehow knew this thread would reach Phil Collins. today is a special day.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

nonplaced wrote:
steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:it's true though, his kicks sound weak on most HI-Fi and nearfield monitors. but on a massive club system it's a different story.
thats the 808 effect, i know people are saying he doesnt use them, but thats exactly what happens with an 808 kick, they sound crap on most speakers but they rock through a system. they dont have any harmonics worth speaking of.
It's funny you should mention that; there's an interview with Tobias Freund online somewhere, where he mentions his 808 sounded a boomy and rubbish through Villalobos' monitoring setup. That along with the latter's preference for 'understated' kicks seems to imply the €40,000 speakers aren't all that.
I think this is not correct, tobias said the 808 was sounding really fat and full of sound if I remember the words correctly.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah but fat and full in this case has a negative connotation
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

maybe he's just a wimp and can't handle an 808 on Ricardo's monitors.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

i thought that ricardo said his jomox xbase sounds better than the 808, and after an a b comparison, they agreed that the jomox sounds better indeed.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Rein wrote:i thought that ricardo said his jomox xbase sounds better than the 808, and after an a b comparison, they agreed that the jomox sounds better indeed.
Better in what way? The 2 are different because of the sonic limitations of the 808, it's impossible for example, for the xbase to be better than the 808 at being an 808. I respect the guy obviously but some of the stuff I have read which he comes out with is a bit strange.