has accumulated $ 4,000 =) which hardware to buy?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: has accumulated $ 4,000 =) which hardware to buy?

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:if you want inspiration and excitement, you need to get something that makes sounds man and gets your brain working, not something mundane that imo isnt even necessary at all to make minimal techno.

just saying
I'm feeling the same way these days... less production values and more just music making. It feels really nice to be able to let go of having to sound like a record and playing/sounding more like a musician. Which i feel in the long term is most important, most of the classic engineers will tell you that so much of the sound is in the performance more so than in the recording. Learning how to play keys and integrate with the hardware has been rewiring my brain for sometime now and its really exciting and challenging.

Long term you still might want those quality compressors and things or if you are working to produce a record. But for playing... drum machines, synths and some speakers. you are gold. for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-6vK6Mdbg

Plus if you have friends with all this knowledge and gear they can help you mix down/master your amazing music that you played!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

I think a voyager, while an amazing synth, if you know nothing about synthesis would be overkill, I'd get a 101 to learn on the lay out is basic and it's a joy to use. And possibly a microkorg xl for polyphonic stuff, as it's got a mic (possibly the most important piece of outboard imo) and a vocoder, you can also use the pc editor to tweak sounds, it is a nice bridge from vst to hardware. As for UAD, ive never had the hardware equivalent of most of the units but I can say they do sound fantastic and shame anything else I've used itb. The studer 8000 and moog filter are must buys if you do. But if you are just learning, going on my own experience, you've a long long way to go before you should be too bothered about mastering. Learn basic subtractive synthesis, learn sequencing, learn sampling, master the editing tools of your daw and just keep creating. You can always go back to a gold idea years later once you've worked out how to get a good sound. I've been making music more than 10 years now and I've only just reached a point where I'm happy with the sound I get, and that's after selling untold pieces of kit that I just didn't vibe with and ended up stifling my creativity with technicalities. Best advice I could give you is dump your girlfriend, get the number of a good local take away and get used to not seeing any daylight
M
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:I think a voyager, while an amazing synth, if you know nothing about synthesis would be overkill, I'd get a 101 to learn on the lay out is basic and it's a joy to use.
i'd have to disagree mate, the Voyager is barely more complicated than an SH101 when used as a hands on analogue monosynth, its just light years better thats all. better, smoother controls, more control eg individual tuning of oscillators, individual waveform adjustment, two envelopes instead of one, more modulation possibilities etc., but the principles are the same.
but more importantly it has midi control, so if you are used to working with software, or are using a software sequnecer its easily integrateable into your current set-up.

no matter how much i love my 101s, they are very basic, and once you've worked out what the sliders do, thats pretty much it, you arent going to learn much more about synthsesis. with the voyager the midi possibilities alone will keep you busy for years

i think 'overkill' is a strange word to use about a synth, 'quality' and 'potential' is where the Voyager is at.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

When I said overkill I was talking price wise, if you're just starting out, spending over 2k on a synth I think is overkill
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:When I said overkill I was talking price wise, if you're just starting out, spending over 2k on a synth I think is overkill
ok, but if the guy has $4000 to spend, an RME is well within his budget and he'll still have plenty left over for other shizz.

why are we assuming he's just starting out ? maybe i missed that
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:
MarcAshken wrote:When I said overkill I was talking price wise, if you're just starting out, spending over 2k on a synth I think is overkill
ok, but if the guy has $4000 to spend, an RME is well within his budget and he'll still have plenty left over for other shizz.

why are we assuming he's just starting out ? maybe i missed that
Assumption is right I think...
Most of us, definitly those that are experienced, wouldn't be asking what to spend the money on in such a way.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ok, but he could just be moving into hardware from software no ?

he sounded fairly clued up, and he said he dreamed of a Voyager,

want to crush his dreams ? or encourage the guy.

go for it Ezz !

just my 2 cents
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

Ha well when you put it like that ;)