Want to buy... Jupiter 6

- ask away
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by nakoradiomies »

oh yeah look after that juno-6 also, there are some midi kits for it.
some of them are quite cheap and easy to build and install if you are okay to live with just midi note on/off control..

i have played with jupiter 8 once and i have to say, it really is a overly hyped synth..dunno about the jupiter 6 tho.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

nakoradiomies wrote:i have played with jupiter 8 once and i have to say, it really is a overly hyped synth..dunno about the jupiter 6 tho.
I don't think that you can get a proper impression of a synth only having played it once. Lots of people didn't like the 303....
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:for me, I think that polyphonic synths rely too much on ideas of harmony that are less relevent to electronic music.
In what way? I'm a bit puzzled over that, hence me asking.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
i dont really do chords. the chord type sounds on my recent tracks and live vids are the Voyager playing 3 VCOs + one or two others going through the voyagers filter from the external input. but they are not static chords, the two extra VCOs are usually linked to the percussion frequenccies by FM so they are both playing different lines on top of the Voyagers line, and that is usually just tuned VCOs not in particular chords but harmonic relationships.
Sounds intriguing if confusing a little, don't want to thread hijack so will try and remember the thing about linking the 2 VCO's to percussion frequencies by FM and ask you when it's a relevant thread.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK The thread has already been hijacked by henry! hahaha... i remember sitting for a kid that was scared shtless of the vacuum... i wonder if this would have changed his mind. lol.

nakoradiomies wrote: i have played with jupiter 8 once and i have to say, it really is a overly hyped synth..dunno about the jupiter 6 tho.
I can see why its overhyped it looks amazing... and played by almost everyone in the 80s. its legendary... but it seems like many of them are breaking down and aren't working up to their full potential like back in the day.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by datalus »

I bought a Jupiter 6 a few years ago. Incredible synth, it took me a little over a year after getting it to truly appreciate how awesome it is. I find that even though I may not have the control over everything like a modular would offer me, I find the limitations much more creatively inspiring. I've come up with some patches that I've never thought I'd hear out of a jupiter 6, like any piece of gear you just gotta dig deep and keep at it. It's also great for getting me back into playing keys and getting back to where I started from, which was at a piano as a kid. So, it's been awesome.

As for an aging piece of gear: It's like an old vehicle, it's all about the TLC you put into it. Mine wasn't perfect when I got it, and I have yet to get it looked over, but so far it's still been great using it and making music with it. It does tend to drift out of tune, but it's not that hard to readjust the tuning knobs for the OSCs, it helps keep me in pitch at least, heh. After the holidays, I plan on going for the europa mod and giving it a good once over, because it's a fine instrument in its own right and I love its sound. I've sold off most of my other gear (like mopho, juno 106, etc.) and I'll probably just keep this along with my nord rack 2 as my only outboard gear until I start to build a modular.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:for me, I think that polyphonic synths rely too much on ideas of harmony that are less relevent to electronic music.
In what way? I'm a bit puzzled over that, hence me asking.
partly it's just personal opinion, i've never studied harmony theory deeply so perhaps i'm talking out of my arse. but i always thought it was more relevant when using instruments with fixed timbre. (although I think partials are covered by theory?)

the ways you can manipulate the harmonic content of an oscillator or several oscillators are very complex and think they can offer possiblities which are not covered in depth in harmonic theory (maybe I'm wrong). I definitely think polyphonic synths are rooted too heavily the idea of the synth as an advanced electronic organ solo wank session. (no offence to anyone who takes the synth out of this area and happily does their own thing with it)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:
i dont really do chords. the chord type sounds on my recent tracks and live vids are the Voyager playing 3 VCOs + one or two others going through the voyagers filter from the external input. but they are not static chords, the two extra VCOs are usually linked to the percussion frequenccies by FM so they are both playing different lines on top of the Voyagers line, and that is usually just tuned VCOs not in particular chords but harmonic relationships.
Sounds intriguing if confusing a little, don't want to thread hijack so will try and remember the thing about linking the 2 VCO's to percussion frequencies by FM and ask you when it's a relevant thread.
hydrogen probably wont mind, we've already gone way OT

as an example at the moment i have a TipTop Z3000 mk11 VCO which has seperate sin / tri / saw / pulse outputs, and the sine / tri can be wave shaped by an external VCO, as well as linear and exponential FM'd, and the saw and pulse can only be FM'd.
so i have two other VCOs used for percussive sounds and i'm using a sine output from one of them to waveshape the Z3000, and the pulse of the other to FM the Z3000. so one percussion sound is changing the timbre and frequency of the sin and tri outputs, and the other perc sound is modulating the FM of the whole VCO, so the various outputs of the Z3000 are heavily affected by the tuned percussion (each of which is playing a different simple melody) and i'm sending a waveshaped triangle and an FM'd pulse to the Voyager's external input. this is toally seperate from what ever the Voyager is playing, so i get three different melodies layered on top of each other, but if the Vogager's melody is simple or just one note (chord) then the outcome is like a chord with two other lines playing along with it.
in reality it comes out like a chord with shifting timbres in it or a chord with shifting extensions.

sounds complicated, but its really simple, and takes about two seconds to set up.
its why i just cant take anyone seriously when they say why would you want to buy a monosynth.