has accumulated $ 4,000 =) which hardware to buy?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: has accumulated $ 4,000 =) which hardware to buy?

Post by hydrogen »

::BLM:: wrote:killjoy

you're right though.
doesn't have to be that way... :) lol... actually a moog voyager would be great its not only an extremely powerful synthesizer but still has resale value if you don't think its worth the money you paid.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

hydrogen wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:killjoy

you're right though.
doesn't have to be that way... :) lol... actually a moog voyager would be great its not only an extremely powerful synthesizer but still has resale value if you don't think its worth the money you paid.
a lot of gear has resale value.
unfortunately not all does.
but I think it's still quite different if you do know what you want, then get it and discover that it's not really for you,
than if you just go out and spend a lot of cash for something you're not at all sure of.

I mean, a title saying "I have 4000$, what hardware should I buy ?"
doesn't that seem a bit too clueless ?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Hades wrote: I mean, a title saying "I have 4000$, what hardware should I buy ?"
doesn't that seem a bit too clueless ?
come don't be mean, he is optimistic!! :) but i agree thats a bit of buying power with so many options and not a ton of direction... regardless... what would you buy if you had a computer / soundcard / monitors? its actually good question to get some ideas and where to start looking... there is quite a bit of diverse musicians/producers here.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

303, 808 and 909, then it's good as gone.
Seriously If I had the cash now, I would go down the modular road. That's the influence of you guys rubbing off.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Hades wrote:maybe the most important question the OP should be asking himself is :
how do I prefer to work ?
and then he could decide what to do with that money.

there's so many ways to do this thing.
you can use hardware for mixing and mastering or do it in the box.
you can use softsynths or hardware synths.
you can use modular.

all of us will probably be advising the guy whatever we prefer, but it's him that has to use it, no ?

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you have 4000$ and make music,
and you're not sure on what you should spend this, then I think you might not have enough mileage yet to make a proper decision and have a big chance of making a wrong one (and in doing so losing a lot of money).

if I were you mr ezz, I would only use maximum half that money for now,
and see how it goes with whatever you have bought.
there ain't no "buy this and you'll make great music" kind of advice,
and since there are many ways of doing this, it's important that you should discover which way works best for you.

so, maybe consider how you prefer to work, and then look at the available options suggested.
Fully agree with this. If you have got that kind of money and you don't know what to buy maybe you shouldn't get anything?
Modular is probably not the best way to go... You will be overwhelmed by it.

I say sit on the cash, and start slow. Just because you have the money you don't have to blow it all needlessly. If you find an awesome deal like a sh101 for £300, you will have the money sat there. Many people don't...

But hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money!
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

If I had that sort of money I'd be tempted to look into getting a big analogue desk.

It's a slippery slope though, I'd end up wanting all sorts of outboard stuff to complement it...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'd get a Spectralis 2. But like has been said, if I were spending that amount of cash, I'm make sure I did a thorough reasearch based on my own set of criteria. I'd never be influenced enough to buy gear based on other peoples opinions as a lot of it can be subjective and personal to your own musical tastes and ways of working, that said, I'd certainly look at a lot of the options as more heads are better than one if you know you might want something but need a list of possibilities that may not have crossed your mind.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

Tempest, Moog Slim Phatty, Tom Oberheim SEM