deep and solid kickdrum

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hey AK, the 'dont-sample' part was not meant at you, or anybody in particular. i just know there are people without any moral whatsoever as to using other people's work. so i just had to say that. after all, good or bad - this is my baby and i love it.

said it earlier too, i respect other ways of doing it, and if it works for you and satisfies you - well thats all that matters. i just took part in this thread because i did not agree that 90% of dance music is 808/909, and that compression/eq are the most essential tools, thats all.

some of your english i dont understand though :) but anyway.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: deep and solid kickdrum

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio can you post up your settings for the mbase 909/808 kicks?
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

Everyone seems to have there own set way of doing things, but for me I usually like to start with the microtonic multi VST just to get some basic beats going. After that layering is your secret weapon. Whether it's adding another oscillator from the microtonic over top, or sampling a sound you like, get creative and work your magic. BUT if you don't have the microtonic then any subtractive synthesizer will do the job just fine using an oscillator sound. You can also use FM synthesis.

Word of advice though, try and keep your kicks decay somewhere around 500 MS(not hz). Minimal kicks don't usually have long tails, and this will allow you to leave more room in the mix for more subby flavour sounds from your bass and synths. However, subby kicks can still be used if your using more of a mid ranged bassline. If you need any help let me know!

:)
Last edited by markos on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

markos wrote:
Word of advice though, try and keep your kicks decay somewhere around 500 hz.
thats not a kick, its almost a cymbal.

the highest snare fundamental i would ever use is around 400 Hz

kicks work best - 50 to 80 Hz (fundamental)
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

Lots of people like UMEK seem to be using kicks with pretty long tails (entire kick length pretty much precisely half beat)
and his often seem to have a tail at around 44 Hz.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

Plenty of cat skinning (*)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

markos wrote:
Word of advice though, try and keep your kicks decay somewhere around 500 hz. Minimal kicks don't usually have long tails, and this will allow you to leave more room in the mix for more subby flavour sounds from your bass and synths. However, subby kicks can still be used if your using more of a mid ranged bassline. If you need any help let me know!

:)
I presume he's talking about milliseconds, 500hz for a decay of a kick or whatever he's on about is simply ridiculous. But even if he's on about milliseconds it's still odd because who works out their kicks decay based on milliseconds? Even if you did, you'd have to consider the tempo and other instruments in the groove but I'm not even going there because there's just no point.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

michaellpenman wrote:
steevio wrote:
markos wrote:
Word of advice though, try and keep your kicks decay somewhere around 500 hz.
thats not a kick, its almost a cymbal.

the highest snare fundamental i would ever use is around 400 Hz

kicks work best - 50 to 80 Hz (fundamental)
agreed
i do like a kick around 39-44Hz to a really gut buster. :)
I've been experimenting with 41hz for the kicks fundamental and that seems to come across nicely for me, I also tend to have a fondness for scales with an 'E' root maybe that's why I find they work nicely for me. ( I don't religeously use scales in 'E' by the way )