'sub' bass tech bass something something

- ask away
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: 'sub' bass tech bass something something

Post by metaBit »

steevio wrote:if you want something a bit more techy theres nothing nicer than linear analogue FM, but i'm not sure many synths have it available in a useable form for bass, but its freely available in modular form.
You had me at linear analogue FM.

How many operators would be needed for that? I think I know how to build an operator out of two oscillators (one the carrier and one the modulator) but that adds up fast if you are using modules. I've considered getting a second TipTopAudio oscillator for analogue FM stuff.

Any tips on making linear analogue FM bass?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

metaBit wrote:
steevio wrote:if you want something a bit more techy theres nothing nicer than linear analogue FM, but i'm not sure many synths have it available in a useable form for bass, but its freely available in modular form.
You had me at linear analogue FM.

How many operators would be needed for that? I think I know how to build an operator out of two oscillators (one the carrier and one the modulator) but that adds up fast if you are using modules. I've considered getting a second TipTopAudio oscillator for analogue FM stuff.

Any tips on making linear analogue FM bass?
you already worked it out mate, get a Z3000 Mk11

two Z3000s are bliss for FM percussion and bass.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Question1: For what reason would you have a low 'FILTERED' sine? What are you filtering?
I have listened to you guys talk about this for years now. But I still don't get it as I used to use Reason a lot and when you move the filter on the Subtractor in Reason with just a sine wave on osc1 you can hear the lpf in action. Infact for many years I used a sine wave for my sub bass. If there are no harmonics in a sine wave this wouldn't happen right? The tone would remain the same if there were no harmonics? Perhaps the sinewave in Reason isnt a pure sine wave? What am I not understanding?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
Question1: For what reason would you have a low 'FILTERED' sine? What are you filtering?
I have listened to you guys talk about this for years now. But I still don't get it as I used to use Reason a lot and when you move the filter on the Subtractor in Reason with just a sine wave on osc1 you can hear the lpf in action. Infact for many years I used a sine wave for my sub bass. If there are no harmonics in a sine wave this wouldn't happen right? The tone would remain the same if there were no harmonics? Perhaps the sinewave in Reason isnt a pure sine wave? What am I not understanding?
two possibilities;

1/ it isnt a pure sinewave
2/ you are mistaking volume change as the LPF in action. an LPF used on a pure sinewave will merely alter its volume.

think of it like this; a pure sinewave is just one frequency. if you down-sweep the cutoff of an lpf, you are reducing the levels of the frequencies above the cut off frequency, so if you do this to a sinewave, nothing at all will happen till you reach the sinewaves frequency, then if you keep going you will reduce the level of that frequency. its very simple.

if you apply resonance to the same process, then you will get a brief increase in the level as the cutoff hits the sinewave's freq. then it will reduce as you go past it. whatever happens its all just volume change.
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

steevio wrote:
you already worked it out mate, get a Z3000 Mk11

two Z3000s are bliss for FM percussion and bass.
Excellent! That is what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

steevio wrote: edit; sorry man, i know sometimes i'm a grumpy twat, but the state of mankind sometimes gets to me, and it bleeds into my everyday reality.............................................
sorry for the rant.
:)

:-D

back on the topic of great sub bass.... ableton's operator default patch (suprise suprise, it's a sine wave) with a tiny touch of fast pitch mod.