Ever Wanted To Write A Slow Song?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ever Wanted To Write A Slow Song?

Post by AK »

Or not necessarily a slow song, just something outside of your comfort zone?

I think, well, I know - at least for me, that I use music as a form of life therapy if you will, a means to unload my burdens and stress. Whatever comes out if I'm being honest with the music, is what I reckon I'm feeling. But how can you get feelings of loss into a techno track without it sounding contrived?

To cut a long story short, I have lost regular contact with my 11 yr old girl. My ex has moved to Cornwall and it's not like I can just pop over there. Obviously I'm devastated co's she's my life and she's now out of everyday reach. I need to write music so as to provide an outlet for how I feel to bring comfort to myself.

Am I alone in this? not talking about the situation I'm in, I'm talking about feeling the need to get emotions out in the form of music? If so, what did you write and was it alien to what you normally write?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ever Wanted To Write A Slow Song?

Post by ::BLM:: »

Am I alone in this? not talking about the situation I'm in, I'm talking about feeling the need to get emotions out in the form of music
I always get my emotions out with music. Its my favourite time to make music when I'm feeling that way.

Why dont you move to Cornwall?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:
Am I alone in this? not talking about the situation I'm in, I'm talking about feeling the need to get emotions out in the form of music
I always get my emotions out with music. Its my favourite time to make music when I'm feeling that way.

Why dont you move to Cornwall?

Doesn't it mess with your head though when the emotions are strong?

I'm not moving to Cornwall, I have my work here, my mates, my family and my tennancy agreement for one. I'd give the first 3 up in a heartbeat to be near my little girl but sometimes you just gotta be practical. :(
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

stop thinking, start doing.
making music with "rules" is like compression on your emotions.

enjoy and surrender
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

sounds like a tough situation emotionally.

I think I always used music to feel happy. I had a difficult childhood with a lot of suffering: domestic violence and heavy emotional abuse. Music was always my place to escape to. I used to listen to really dark music when I was 14 or so and couldn't really understand myself. It probably saved my life.

I'm not very good emotionally, I can't just open up and cry, and music is always a good way for me to connect to emotions and feelings in a way that I find comfortable. Life brings up a lot of hard challenges for people and music can be an important tool for people when they are working thru problems that make them feel like they just want to give up. I think emotions need to be released somehow, and if music is a good way for you to get them out then it's a good way to get them out.

I think meaningful music comes from just being free with what you write. I find dark music really joyeous and uplifting. When I listen to it it makes me feel like there's someone out there who understands, it gives me something to hold on to.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

kdgh wrote:making music with "rules" is like compression on your emotions.
brilliant!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I'm the same as obli.

It doesn't mess with my head, it helps me.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

kdgh wrote:stop thinking, start doing.
making music with "rules" is like compression on your emotions.

enjoy and surrender
Everybody employs rules to some degree, if we didn't we'd have a Jackson Pollock version of music. Complete and utter mahem. I see the analogy you are on about though. :P