Domino Analogue Monophonic Synthesizer

- ask away
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Domino Analogue Monophonic Synthesizer

Post by catchpenny »

looks like a nice new inexpensive option for bass lines. any thoughts?

http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=75
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Domino Analogue Monophonic Synthesizer

Post by hydrogen »

The synth looks cool! Missing a second osc but one vco is still pretty dope. It's also a little weird that it only has asd and no release... I would love to play with it and hear how it sounds. Especially compared to some of the MFB stuff in the same price range.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I'm confused as to why so many manufacturers are building all these little mono synths without stackable polyphonic modes, a-la Dave smith evolver etc....
Potential for multiplying your market? and I don't think it is particularly hard to program into midi (altough I could be really wrong about this - im no programmer.)

That said, if it is a 'true' discrete synthesiser;
don't expect it to track brilliantly over many octaves.
but expect it to sound sweet and fully of character.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

compared to the MFB Nanozwerg it has some extra interesting things, like the LFO syncable to MIDI clock, nice option not easy to find in this monophonic price range also it has few more types of waveforms, this filter is 24db, NZ is 12db but multimode. I do would miss the Release as mentioned above by hydrogen.

to "lem":
IMO, not only people who make electronic/danceable music wold want a monophonic synth, for example, many rock bands would only want this to add a different approach to their music (as i have few friends who have). it is also the first step/option for tasting the "analogue sound" for many people (including myself) and people who built/sell these toys know this very well, so i do think it is a "Potential for multiplying your market", they try to compete and stay in the same price range playing with the possibilities they can offer in that area, if you do a little reading there are not so many and they all have the basics, the differences are on little features and/or built quality vs features.

for some people this is all they need, for some other this is all they need to figure out they want more. lol.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

isaaclevy wrote: IMO, not only people who make electronic/danceable music wold want a monophonic synth, for example, many rock bands would only want this to add a different approach to their music (as i have few friends who have). it is also the first step/option for tasting the "analogue sound" for many people (including myself) and people who built/sell these toys know this very well, so i do think it is a "Potential for multiplying your market", they try to compete and stay in the same price range playing with the possibilities they can offer in that area, if you do a little reading there are not so many and they all have the basics, the differences are on little features and/or built quality vs features.

for some people this is all they need, for some other this is all they need to figure out they want more. lol.
I don't really see what genre has to do with this? The minimoog was in rock before it was in dance music....
Its an observation of mine, its much easier to produce something in bulk quantities if its digital. Hence why analogue is generally a lot more expensive than the virtual analogue counterparts.

Just think that if it could be expanded MORE people would be attracted to it.
I know many people that would pay £1000 for a 4 voice discrete VCO synth. But by dividing it up into seperate modules you could introduce first time synth buyers, and have seasoned synthesists buying 4 in one go.
That makes more sense to me than to go up against Doepfer and Vermona who are offering very similar products.

It still looks great on paper, will definately be following this one.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

i was trying to make a point, that the market for these things is broad.....and these monosynths are products, each brand with its concept of it. they are appearing more and more. i'm not saying is a bad thing at all.

these are "plug & play" synths, just what many people want and like, for firstimers, expandable (like modular synths for example) would be too much or even complicated to think of, some people need nothing more than these monosynths that are being offered on the market.

i dont think it is a matter of going against each other, i see it like manufacturers are going for the opportunities on that new market, monosynths were not that popular before, they want a peace of that cake, maybe it could be seen as some sort of expansion of their products, anew line. in the other hand, there are manufacturers developing modular now as well and are going for both sides (marketing speaking, the plug & play and the expandable modules).
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I still don't quite get what any of this has to do with what I said?
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

catchpenny wrote:looks like a nice new inexpensive option for bass lines. any thoughts?

http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=75
just a thought man....