Mixer ground problems?

- ask away
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Mixer ground problems?

Post by tsankip »

My dj-mixer makes a slight noise when the channel fader is up and I lift the cartridge (Shure Whitelabel). I took the turntables ground to my own hand and it didn't occour anymore, so it has to be some kind of a ground issue?

Absolutely clueless when it comes to these kind of things, so I was hoping that maybe someone has a clue of what's going on?

Have to take the mixer to servicing anyway though, since some of the eq's crackle, the monitor volume knob's pot is a bit dodgy at times and the midi display is fucked.

This might have started after the midi display fried a few of weeks ago, but I'm not sure, because I got the new cartridges just after that.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Mixer ground problems?

Post by hydrogen »

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Are your turntables mixer and speakers plugged into the same outlet? Does your outlet have a ground on it?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

what mixer is it ?

have you checked to see how much its going to cost to fix ?

it sounds like it could be a right off with all your problems. some mixers cost more to repair than to get another used one in good condition.

happened to me with a Pioneer DJM600, the potentiometers cannot be replaced individually, you have to replace the whole board at £300. its a joke.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

The mixer is the Xone 3D by Allen & Heath. The whole lot is plugged into the same outlet. Not sure if it's grounded or not, got no idea about electricity.

I actually had some problems with the electricity for the last couple of days: as I switched on the computer my whole upstairs electricity went out. Electricians came over and sayd it was just a coincidence since they couldn't identify what caused the blackout.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tsankip wrote:The mixer is the Xone 3D by Allen & Heath. The whole lot is plugged into the same outlet. Not sure if it's grounded or not, got no idea about electricity.

I actually had some problems with the electricity for the last couple of days: as I switched on the computer my whole upstairs electricity went out. Electricians came over and sayd it was just a coincidence since they couldn't identify what caused the blackout.
You might test the grounding of our outlet. I'm not sure what kind of power you guys use over there though... every country seems to be a bit different. Honestly, I don't really know but you might also search the internet for ground loop hum and also contact allen and heath. is it a problem with both turntables?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Yes both turntables, but only when I hold/lift the cartridge with my hand. It doesn't happen whilst playback.

It happens both with and without extension cords, stuff plugged into separate sockets. It also happened during a forest rave we had this weekend where the power was coming from a generator. It doesn't disturb playback, but it's definitely not supposed to be happening.

I'll contact A&H technical support to see what they've got to say about it. It started happening after the midi display fried.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Turns out that the needles are creating that buzz. I take my own needles to gigs and noticed the same "problem" last night. The Shure Whitelabel's got a metal body so maybe that's why? Or my needles are fucked. I really don't know if it's supposed to be happening or not. I doesn't affect play, because you obviously don't touch the cartridges when the record is spinning, but it's just a bit puzzling...