Drumsynthesizer // Analog // whatelse??

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Drumsynthesizer // Analog // whatelse??

Post by AK »

Seen that before ( both ) but still cool. Who did the visuals?

Also, I think modular & me wouldn't get on, too many damn cables man.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Seen that before ( both ) but still cool. Who did the visuals?

Also, I think modular & me wouldn't get on, too many damn cables man.
haha you get used to it. thats what i thought when i started, i hate wires.

my girlfriend suzy does the visuals, she draws all the animations by hand then puts them into VJing software called Resolume and adds digital effects etc. and mixes them live. its all synched up to midi clock from the 909. but the ones on this vid are just basically synched because we didnt have time to go into more detail. when i was using software sequencing we were actually triggering individual clips with sounds in the music, so we would like have the hi-hats triggering some things, synth chords triggering others etc. but since we went modular we havent got round to working out how we can do it, we will probably need a CV to midi module.
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

one general thing:

i've heard a few times now that you'll reach a point where they are limited in flexibility. whereby software is more flexible in programming interesting grooves/drum loops.

do those of you how use drum machines experience that too? and if so how do you get around it?

what do you think is the advantage of drummachines in comparison to software then? is f.e. a vermona better in sound?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hNRk wrote:one general thing:

i've heard a few times now that you'll reach a point where they are limited in flexibility. whereby software is more flexible in programming interesting grooves/drum loops.

do those of you how use drum machines experience that too? and if so how do you get around it?

what do you think is the advantage of drummachines in comparison to software then? is f.e. a vermona better in sound?
ive used both drum machines, software and a modular, and i'd say the most flexible and best sounding of all is the modular by light years, as long as you've got enough modules, but software isnt far behind in terms of flexibility, and for the drum machine well it totally depends on the drum machine.
the advantage of a drum machine is just instantaneous tweakability, but i gave up on drum machines in favour of software sequencing (not sound creation) as i find the standard 16step style architecture of most drum machines really limiting,
software sequencing is almost infintely flexible for grooves. also you can create your own percussive sounds with synths and not be limited to the set in your drum machine. (of course some drum machines allow you to load samples.)
the machine drum is a favourite on here, so ask the guys who've got them about it.

its a hard question really, alot depends on how you work, for me there is no contest now, its got to be a modular, but i managed alright for years with software sequencing and hardware synths for my percussion.
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

its a hard question really, alot depends on how you work, for me there is no contest now, its got to be a modular, but i managed alright for years with software sequencing and hardware synths for my percussion.
yeah well i really like experimenting with grooves. and maybe a drummachine is really a little to limiting compared to software sequencing.

the reason i was looking for drummachines was because of the fat sounds of the kicks and snare etc. which i havent found in software so far... may be i used wrong software? any tips there?

@steevio
do you use a specific synth for your drums? if yes which one? :)

thx so far btw!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hNRk wrote:
yeah well i really like experimenting with grooves. and maybe a drummachine is really a little to limiting compared to software sequencing.

the reason i was looking for drummachines was because of the fat sounds of the kicks and snare etc. which i havent found in software so far... may be i used wrong software? any tips there?

@steevio
do you use a specific synth for your drums? if yes which one? :)

thx so far btw!
like i say i use a modular for all my drums now, but i've used many different synths for percussion sounds, SH101, Nord Lead, Nord 3, Virus b, Andromeda, Juno 106 etc...

the most flexible and easiest to use of all of those is the Nord3, its perfect for percussion, but the sound quality isn't amazing, i always put the sounds through analogue filters to give them warmth and fattness.

why not use software sequencing and hardware synths, its the best of both worlds ?
you can get percussive sounds out of almost any synth.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Steevio is right, it really is down to how you work. The technology doesn't matter so much as the user.

I use an MPC3000 for sequencing and drums. It has a nice workflow, but it doesn't make the music for you. It is the same with any of the options. The drums are going to sound nice if you have some funk, they are going to sound crap if you don't. If you want nice drums, you have to learn how drumming works: trap playing, latin percussion, African rhythms... If you spend time learning that stuff, you are going to sound good no matter what you buy.

IMHO a used MPC is the first thing to get. It does everything you need, you can make a whole track with it. The used prices are stable so if you don't like it, you can sell back without a loss. You can learn it in 5-10 hours and the spend your time learning drums and working on music. It is a big box that does a few things and does them really well. It doesn't have 10,000 shuffle options, but you don't need a bunch of software gimmicks if your hands are right. The best part is that it is all about your ears and your hands, you aren't making music with your eyeballs.

Modular is cool, but you are opening a 55gal drum of worms if you choose to go down that road cold. You are going to spent top dollar and months of research to custom build an instrument that will take a long time to master. I am not knocking modular, but it seems like a better option once you have spent years mastering the basics. It is great for an experienced guy like Steevio, but it is a real time and money sink for a noob. You will spend so much time coming to terms with the technology that it will distract you from making music(which is different from going bleep-bloop over a kick drum).

Again, I am not knocking modular. I just don't think it is a good solution for drums if your music isn't rock solid in the first place. Steevio is one of the few people making _MUSIC_ with one that I have seen and he has 30+ years under his belt.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

hNRk wrote:
I dunno if it sounds better than software, I don't use software so I can't really compare. However, it doesn't sound perfect by any means. The kick has a VERY narrow sweet spot, many of the other sounds it can produce are unusable etc. I like it mostly because it's so simple. The drums just ARE there. Every drum sound is instantly tweakable with a knob for every function, I don't have to spend hours going through drum samples like you do with a computer. I can concentrate on making music and just write a drum pattern (sequencing it with my Monomachine) in a few minutes, maybe tweak the drums a bit and that's it. No fussing around, nothing complicated, just a simple way to make simple music.

I am planning on expanding the drum department though, probably with either an Octratrack or a Machinedrum. The Vermona doesn't have that wide a usable palette of sounds, I think I've used every possible sound in it by now. I like it, but something new and fresh would be nice, too.