How long have you been producing until first release?

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How long have you been producing until first release?

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:
I still know a ton of producers that do very well on say Beatport, but get very confused when they come to mine and sit in front of a few synths. Some don't even understand the concept and that their sample cd's would have been made from a synth. Kind of strange really and a bit disheartening knowing someone can do extremely well, but not really have a clue what’s going on.
really ???
I find that rather hilarious.
so these guys always make music using only sample CD's, they never touch a single synth ?
I mean no disrespect, but to me this kind of sounds like a chef in a kitchen that only prepares meals from pre-fab mixes/sauces/bags of already cut up frozen vegetables.
I know sample CD's get bought a lot, but I always figured this was because mostly the "1-year-producers"* bought these.
I thought serious producers used these only if there were no other options. Or when they needed to get something done fast, but not for making whole tracks with them.
Guess I was naïve. :lol:

* with "1-year-producer" I mean the guys that get a few pieces of gear (8 years ago or so that meant they would get one or two hardware synths, now it means they get some sample CD's and maybe a softsynth, preferably a crack version) because they want to get rich 'n famous making music.
They soon find out it's not as easy as it looks, and after about a year, they gradually give up, then eventually 1 or 2 years later, they sell their gear because they want a new iPhone. :green:
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Hades wrote:
I still know a ton of producers that do very well on say Beatport, but get very confused when they come to mine and sit in front of a few synths. Some don't even understand the concept and that their sample cd's would have been made from a synth. Kind of strange really and a bit disheartening knowing someone can do extremely well, but not really have a clue what’s going on.
really ???
I find that rather hilarious.
so these guys always make music using only sample CD's, they never touch a single synth ?
I mean no disrespect, but to me this kind of sounds like a chef in a kitchen that only prepares meals from pre-fab mixes/sauces/bags of already cut up frozen vegetables.
I know sample CD's get bought a lot, but I always figured this was because mostly the "1-year-producers"* bought these.
I thought serious producers used these only if there were no other options. Or when they needed to get something done fast, but not for making whole tracks with them.
Guess I was naïve. :lol:

* with "1-year-producer" I mean the guys that get a few pieces of gear (8 years ago or so that meant they would get one or two hardware synths, now it means they get some sample CD's and maybe a softsynth, preferably a crack version) because they want to get rich 'n famous making music.
They soon find out it's not as easy as it looks, and after about a year, they gradually give up, then eventually 1 or 2 years later, they sell their gear because they want a new iPhone. :green:

Yep, just sample cds. No synthesis at all. No soft synths, just Loopmaster packs. (and they dont even pay for them)

These people don’t care for producing though. They do it just to get gigs, so sample cds are best for them. I once offered to show one particular producer, but he said he doesn’t have the time to learn. Within a year of him starting making music, by using sample cds he was already charging 1000 euro per gig each weekend. I suppose if that’s what you’re looking for (gigs) then you have to commend him, but from an artistic point of view I can’t stand it.

I suppose at least they are doing it for themselves though. I know a few people that can’t make music at all, but have had releases on huge labels. They just get some guy to make it for them and whack their name on it and now they are playing all over the world and don’t even credit the original artist or pay them or anything.

I personally wouldn’t mind if they were open about it. Say like Loco Dice tells everyone, but the people I know just go on and let everyone believe that they are great producers when they are not. It’s like your selling something that‘s totally fake. And people admire you because of something someone else has done.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't understand how anyone could make tunes for someone and not get anything for it.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tone-def wrote:i don't understand how anyone could make tunes for someone and not get anything for it.
Because they are young and stupid.

I suppose if they know how to play the game, then they also could do well. But in most cases I have seen when the producer cant make music to the dj's requirement anymore they just drop them, leaving the producer with nothing.

I have two very close mates that just went through this. One of them never found his feet again, and they other is just starting to do well again after years and years of nothing.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

tone-def wrote:i don't understand how anyone could make tunes for someone and not get anything for it.
Because they are young and stupid.

I suppose if they know how to play the game, then they also could do well. But in most cases I have seen when the producer cant make music to the dj's requirement anymore they just drop them, leaving the producer with nothing.

I have two very close mates that just went through this. One of them never found his feet again, and they other is just starting to do well again after years and years of nothing.
fck. hate that game. i know i could do way better if i´d just copy and paste like those morons and their samplecds.
techno made me do it
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I cant make music I dont feel. I cant really work with other people, because im such a selfish producer. It always has to be my way.

Plus the right people are never going to respect you.