------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: 'sub' bass tech bass something something

Post by bipedal103 »

guys look
i have failed to produce a satisfactory sine sub.. i use logic, the sound is somewhat ok, but the best sine bassline i came across was on an old akai mpc1000 sampler or smtng like that. it has like a default preset and i played some notes accidentaly with this preset and some pitch bend and voila, a very pleasing bassline. i used various logic synths for this purpose, i mean you can get something but you hear there's something wrong with it. maybe it's not just the sound but lack of good programming, like some lfos..
maybe the best sounding synth fot his was that juno 106 emulation, what's it called, that small plugins, tal, yes. that sounds ok.. arturia minimoog is also not bad but it's big. sebastan leger uses that one. also a good way is to filter a saw, but i don't know i'm just not feeling it.
i think a lot of current house production has acoustic bass for their bass lines. i know voorn uses acoustic bass to record his lines, and also i hear it on a lot of new tracks..
also some bass lines i really like, which are not acoustic as far as i can tell are those sawy short stabs from subb-an, like on "what i do".. i'm digging that a lot for the moment..
[url="http://soundcloudhelper.com/soundcloud-promotion/"]SoundCloud Promotion[/url]
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i was able to get some cool sub bass with this plugin... http://www.robpapen.com/subboombass.html. I didn't end up buying it though cause i felt like i had more control in the other situations.

And its true... I think a filtered square is much better than a sine wave. I have found the time to use a sine is when you need to fill in the low end if it doesn't exist. you can tuck it in there somehow. Its always been a misconception for me to use a sine but nothing would come out right.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Just thinking about this more... If the sinewave generated has different pitches in it. Either played via keyboard or pitch envelope an eq can have a huge difference on the sound. Imagie a sine wave being pitched from 120hz to 60hz. If there was a parametric eq boost at 80hz the amplitude would bump up for a period of time during that transition.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

im no science expert by any stretch

but if you run a spectrum analyzer on a pure unfiltered sine @ the highest block rate available on the analyzer (SPAN --> Hi Resolution mode) the sine produced by a softsynth will have a larger bandwidth than a single frequency. if you make a kick drum out of a sine with pitch envelope even more bandwidth shows up. i guess you could argue that those frequencies are happening at different points in time during the envelope decay so it's never actually simultaneous but the ear still perceives the kick to contain more frequencies. so maybe the synths don't make perfect sine waves to begin with, maybe not possible? i can't answer that but i also know that creating a perfect filter even in the digital world is impossible as well... guess i will read up on this more
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:im no science expert by any stretch

but if you run a spectrum analyzer on a pure unfiltered sine @ the highest block rate available on the analyzer (SPAN --> Hi Resolution mode) the sine produced by a softsynth will have a larger bandwidth than a single frequency. if you make a kick drum out of a sine with pitch envelope even more bandwidth shows up. i guess you could argue that those frequencies are happening at different points in time during the envelope decay so it's never actually simultaneous but the ear still perceives the kick to contain more frequencies. so maybe the synths don't make perfect sine waves to begin with, maybe not possible? i can't answer that but i also know that creating a perfect filter even in the digital world is impossible as well... guess i will read up on this more
i'm not really sure what youre trying to say bro, if you put a pitch envelope on a sinewave oscillator of course it will change the frequency of the sinewave, but its still just a sinewave, you are simply perceiving a change of pitch, not other sinewaves of different frequencies.
the ear is perfectly capable of distinguishing between a bunch of sinewaves as harmonics and the modulated pitch of a single sinewave.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'd like to comment but, I'm having a whitey just now. Just wanted to offer peace and luv .
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

(*)