London

- open
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

London

Post by simonb »

I'm sure there's been similar general threads about London but I'm gonna make one all of my own :D

I've found myself in London for work for a few months - probably staying until just before Christmas time depending on how the project goes. Just wondering what's good down here for techno and house - I know about the obvious stuff like Fabric but there must be a wealth of interesting smaller nights out there too? I've got a few mates down here, not really diehard techno fans but probably not averse to the occasional night, or I'll head out on my own if I have to. Guess I'd ideally be looking on the slightly more underground side of things since I'm posting here, can probably guess I'm not up for Beatport Top 10 house ;)

Also is there much gig potential for someone new in town (but not new to DJing, been on the decks for 10 years, done an online radio show for far too long and played at a few decent venues back in Glasgow), wouldn't mind playing the odd bar set or something but we all know it's all about the contacts? My treasured vinyl is up north but I've got my laptop with me with plenty ripped stuff and downloads.

Also just one last thing, if anyone knows any rooms in going in flats (or has any advice on where to find them bearing in mind it'll be a short term let) with easy access to Euston/bottom of Regents Park area then do let me know... my work aren't up for putting me up in a hotel for the whole time, funnily enough...
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: London

Post by ChrisCV »

Yes..
maybe..
good luck..
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

1) DJ's you like?

2) I've managed a handful since I moved down 18 months ago, just about getting yourself out there

3) Gumtree is your best bet
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

Hey! Welcome down to London.
Being the ridiculous self promoter that I am :) ... I'm starting a night on the 21st October at Inigo (Clapham), playing deep - tech house. You're more than welcome down with your mates! We're also always on the look out for dj's so if you have a cd you can throw it my way.

For flats - like Marka said, gumtree is definitely the place.

Good luck man!
brosky
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brosky »

and like marka said , depends what djs you like and what atmosphere you are comfortable being in , corsica studios does some nice and sometimes varied partys but you are better of checking resident advisor , i think thats the best guide for you
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Simon - Yep always a lot of gigs about (I do a few in London, starting a Sunday residency shortly) Unfortunately its all about self promotion, so if you have a loyal following then you shouldnt have any problems with any night)

Plenty of lovely venues around and nights in London. Dalstons looking good at the moment and there are the obvious Lightbox\Fabric\Corsica and warehouse parties.

FB me if you want.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tons of stuff off the radar as well, so if you live in a decent area where word of mouth spreads then you will be able to find some decent parties.

we did a party last week in a squat. was really good. 100 people in some squat having it large to our sounds for hours.
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

BLM - Definitely let me know if you do another squat party!! Would be so up for it!