cliched minimal sound

- ask away
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

cliched minimal sound

Post by bipedal103 »

how do you get it? just ableton? are there templates in ableton for this?
how do you do it outside of ableton?
i don't have a particular interest in producing this but i'm just interested in how come all these producers have the same sound?
[url="http://soundcloudhelper.com/soundcloud-promotion/"]SoundCloud Promotion[/url]
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: cliched minimal sound

Post by hydrogen »

Contributes to electronic music genre-fication...

#1 Use of sample cd's or Common Genre Samples
#2 Using common same gear as others in the genre (e.g. 909, 808 machinedrum... etc)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bipedal103 »

: )
i wanted to click like but here it's the report button
true.. now.. does everyone use sample cds, i mean the guys releasing on ok labels? does anyone use just synths or something?
what is the right approach to production, i mean how is it done today? for me it's interesting to fiddle wih sound & synths but i don' t want to be the last mohican or something.. what in your opinion is the right approach, like when should you use samples, when synths.. and which ones..simple
[url="http://soundcloudhelper.com/soundcloud-promotion/"]SoundCloud Promotion[/url]
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I don't use sample cd's. Why? Because I am interested in making and composing MY music, not jigsawing somebody elses together. If I was into that, I'd go to my sisters house and do E-Jay with my nephew.

I agree with Hydrogen on point number 1 but totally disagree with him on point number 2.

The reason why I disagree on point number 2, is that drums are a means to an end. Musicality and sounds to some degree make up a listening experience for me. In a word, I'm interested in the music, not the synth/drum machine that created it. Good music will always be good music for me. :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

2nd wind:

Do you want to be up on beatport with the musical fashion, or do you want to not give a monkey's about that and wish to be totally self expressive and be YOU in music?

Music is beautiful, it's almost spiritual, stay away from sample cd's and other peoples music and write your own. Eventually, you will see what I mean and why and it will all make sense. :D
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bipedal103 »

thanks for the reply. : )
if possible i would like to keep things practical on this thread.
so the 808 & 909 are still strong hitters for you AK : )
for example.. dyed soundorom, i'm really digging a lot of his stuff.. but it's pretty straightforward stuff production wise, i mean not a lot of elements, but put together properly. what does he use?
i want someone i like as a producer just to show me his setup, like a screenshot or something, not to emulate him, but to have a starting point.
AK, basically i'm with you as far as sample cds go, definitely makes no sense all day listening to all the packs..seems like kid stuff.
this other topic, i definitely want to have an up to date sound.. first i want to make some proper dancefloor tracks and then we'll talk about individuality ; )
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

bipedal103 wrote:thanks for the reply. : )
if possible i would like to keep things practical on this thread.
so the 808 & 909 are still strong hitters for you AK : )
for example.. dyed soundorom, i'm really digging a lot of his stuff.. but it's pretty straightforward stuff production wise, i mean not a lot of elements, but put together properly. what does he use?
i want someone i like as a producer just to show me his setup, like a screenshot or something, not to emulate him, but to have a starting point.
AK, basically i'm with you as far as sample cds go, definitely makes no sense all day listening to all the packs..seems like kid stuff.
this other topic, i definitely want to have an up to date sound.. first i want to make some proper dancefloor tracks and then we'll talk about individuality ; )
Nothing wrong with a strong kickdrum, 808/909/Jomox - whatever, my point on that was that isn't the thing that is necessarily of concern when it comes to being original. There's guys on here who use those old drum machines as the backbone for their music. Steevio springs to mind, here - and I'm sure he wont mind me saying that, yet his music is far from cliche'd, others too. That's where i was getting at with that one.

I use a machinedrum myself but I don't use it for kicks 'out the box'. I have a lot of techniques I do for kicks involving Wavelab and resampling blah blah, too boring for here but it's just sick for percussion ( the reason I got it )

For me, it's all about the music mate, don't get into that line of thinking where you imagine techno to be a bassline made up of like 3 different elements, ie: a low pitched 808 Tom, a Sub tuned to the kick and a few nicks and knocks here and there. Those one-shot static samples sequenced over like 64 steps and some plugin applied to auto-r-e-arrange, isn't exploring yourself in my book. Yeah, it might sound good over a P.A, repetition always gets the crowd as does production, but you can still get that with being different. My problem with minimal is that I just don't like it. Yeah, each to their own but what happened to music?

If somebody comes out with some kick ass scale and interesting chords, I'm hooked like a hobo on crack, gimme sidechained white noise builds and repeated nothingness and I'm hitting the skip button.

Any tips on being original? Man, I don't know but maybe try playing stuff in for a change, funky Blues-like basslines instead of the tired old root and b3rd. Just jam man, load up a decent EP over a basic beat and hit record and just go with two hands, I pretty much reckon, there will be something of interest in that 20 or so minutes that you can build on.

sh!t, I'm stoned, what was the question? :lol:
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

AK wrote:2nd wind:

Do you want to be up on beatport with the musical fashion, or do you want to not give a monkey's about that and wish to be totally self expressive and be YOU in music?

:D
Can't imagine that these things are mutually exclusive.