len faki saw synth

- ask away
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

len faki saw synth

Post by bipedal103 »

Which soft synths are best for distorted saw sounds, as heard on a lot of Len Faki and a million of other tracks, but Faki comes first to my mind right now, tracks like Death by house, or his remix of Pfirter "dub track". The last one has almost trumpet like sounds, and then it turns into a big saw. What's your choice for these sounds?
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Thats wierd been trying to work this one out myself
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bipedal103 »

actually it shoudn't be that hard.. I know this sound from a million other tracks, hehe kay d smith tracks come second to my mind, but really it's pretty much a cliched sound, but the softies I tried just don't cut it : )
It must be somekind of saw or something with probably kick sidechain compression.. maybe someone knows which hardware synth is a reference for this kind of stuff?
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

LOL @ Nomad :P

I've been told that its a couple of saws.. heavily detuned, with a medium attack.

Been trying to get it myself, but its missing something.

I'm using Sylenth.. but I'm sure you could do it on anything that has the same functions. I've found those settings an interesting starting point.. with a few tweaks & adding of modulation, you can get some other nice sounds from it. I made a couple of basses & an Organ type sound with it. Thats 1/2 the reason why I havent actually made the Faki sound yet.. getting distracted.

Anyway... Its not a Trumpet. Its the mating call of a Bull Elephant! :lol:

If I get a bit closer, I'll upload the patch / details. I like the way it sounds cos its fkn mental 8)
dashbad
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dashbad »

I'm no expert but I think the reverb you use has an awful lot to do with getting the same type of sound.

I've recently started using some different algorithmic reverbs - audiodamage eos and 112db redline reverb - and it has surprised me how much they can add to the sound beyond just 'space'.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Thats what I've been thinking too Mate.. Havent got around to banging a reverb on it yet.

The reverb really blurs it out, which is what the sound needs / Is missing.

8)
teamwing
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: len faki saw synth

Post by teamwing »

hey guys, if your still looking, the way i would make it is with sylenth, start from innit. use 2 saw's, dont detune them, however put a LFO on one of the osc's pitch. only very slightly.

then add an assload of reverb and 50/50 wet dry delay.

Also, there's a preset for this somewhere. when i find it i'll post back

let me know how you go

Dale R-S
Team Wing

www.twitter.com/teamwing