[Arpiar008] DJ Sneak - Delta Trippin

- wax
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: [Arpiar008] DJ Sneak - Delta Trippin

Post by JackNine »

Themis wrote:short answer: perlon could never make more money off beatport than Zip or Ricardo makes in a week of work.

its just not worth the hassle.
I'm not saying Zip could buy Microsoft if he put Perlon on Beatport. I'm saying he's stupid for not capitalizing on the free income of his incredible back catalog.

Regardless if Zip makes $250k/yr as a DJ, and Perlon is just his side hobby or however you want to word it, monetizing the back catalog of his label by making the whole thing digital is a no-brainer. It's totally separate from Zip the DJ or Zip the promoter. I'm not saying he "needs" the money. I'm saying It would be bonus income from an already established source with very little work involved.

With digital music, people forget that once it's out there, the asset just keeps generating revenue forever. You never have to update it. You never have to touch it. People just keep buying it as they discover the sound. Hawtin understood this early on when he worked on Beatport. Many others as well.

Perlon seems to be stuck in the past, however. And it gives them a certain mystique. I get that. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for real music fans: techno collectors, hobbyist DJs (non-professionals), or people who just recently got into the scene and can't afford to pick up all the old vinyls but still want to rock out to good tunes.

If he's worried about cannibalization taken away from vinyl sales, why not make all Perlon releases as vinyl exclusives for 12 months? After a year it goes into the digital catalog to be enjoyed by the masses. This also keeps the "street credit" with the label. If you must be the first guy on the block to have the new Perlon record, you can only buy the vinyl within the first year.

The whole idea of creating "secret, limited pressings" or "music that nobody knows about because it's only on vinyl" is the stupidest sh!t I've ever heard of in 2011. People sound like a bunch of nerds with their secret squirrel tracks that they want all to themselves.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i understand what you are saying, but there are no secret tracks and limited pressings, atleast not with perlon (except the superlongvity track collections maybe)

every two weeks another perlon record gets repressed. so perlon makes money on their backcatalouge but not over beatport.

there is also nothing secret about it, go to any online recordstore like decks.de and put in perlon every 2 weeks and i guarantee you, within a year you own half of the backcatalouge.

ofcourse there are really old records like the first 20 perlons who dont get repressed, but i think there are other problems with them. maybe the masters are gone or damaged or whatever.

and if a record store is something secret, something mystic to a DJ and he wont bother with another internetsite than beatport when he searches music .. maybe they dont deserv it.
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

JackNine wrote:
People sound like a bunch of nerds with their secret squirrel tracks that they want all to themselves.
hahaha nice
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

hahahah secret squirrel traxxxx
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I think it's not that hard to understand. It's his label. He wants it on vinyl. End of story.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

sry wrong threat
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

http://klubkultur.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... interview/

Zip interview
Of course we might be tempted by the cash we could generate: but luckily this is not the main reason why we do what we do
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

“We‘re just not very tempted by the idea of letting corporate industries dictate the format you have to use to sell online. Especially if we don‘t believe in that format at all! We‘re not really tempted by the idea to stop producing a physical product, as this was always the main drive for us to do a record label. Of course we might be tempted by the cash we could generate: but luckily this is not the main reason why we do what we do.”