coloured cv patch cables

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: coloured cv patch cables

Post by MarcAshken »

ah thats right, they only had the 30cm ones in the online shop an I needed shorter, really must learn to solder
M
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ad infinitum cables do a perfect job for me.

Making your own cables is a piece of piss and zuper cheap. I find soldering really simple and challenging in a fun way. Takes a while to get into it though, but I surpirised myself. If you're soldering a well designed board with good solder and good equipment it's an absolute joy (apart from when you start coughing blood from solder fumes and giving yourself ear infections... use a surface at a good height so you're not leaning into it,. and double and triple check the ventilation is good, cos once you start soldering I can't stop till it's done).

Make sure you get a good soldering iron and take care of your tip.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

lol "solderings fun, until you get lung cancer from the fumes!" - oblio
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:ah thats right, they only had the 30cm ones in the online shop an I needed shorter, really must learn to solder
M
i really really hate soldering !

they have 18cm ones too, which are actually measured from tip to tip, so they about the shortest patch cords you can get, ( i think alot of the others are measured on the cable length )

the ad infinitum ones will do the trick but its really nice when you can bend the ASys ones into any shape and they stay there, i couldnt do a live gig with ad inf ones, as ive got hundreds of patch cords in my rig, it would be a mess, but i think i use way more cords than most people.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

about lung cancer... the blood actually mainly seems to come from the roof of the mouth and throat, it also depends on what kind of flux the solder uses, kester 331 is beautiful to solder with but seems to have a really aggressive flux. (smells great though!) I don't get the bleeding unless I've been soldering something really high density for 3-4 hours and not being careful about ventilation. I'm lucky I don't have to do it 9-whenever for no money.

Also it made me realise i should stop smoking so can't complain really.

Guess it's not for everyone, I suck at metal type work... guess it's genetic.

About patch cables, those doepfer modules are killer, cos he really breaks most stuff down into very small modules compared to other manufacturers, and the modules themselves are generally quite dense.

I got a dual Wiard JAG controller, that's a killer for needing cables... AMAZING module though.