Anyone own the Spectralis 2?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Anyone own the Spectralis 2?

Post by AK »

Seriously thinking of getting one, it ticks all the boxes for me and although I've heard it's a very deep synth which will takes a learning curve, people just harp on that it's one of the best things they've ever heard. Wondered if anyone here had one, so far I've just been reading about at Gearslutz and other places.

I'm very much into the groovebox type thing and I juggled the idea of getting the monomachine as a companion to the machinedrum but I am not too sure about that idea now. Wont repeat any of the tech specs as they are readable elsewhere but apart from the learning curve, all I've read is good reports. Not cheap but then what decent kit is?

Just been watching a live performance just with this alone here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4GpCv9 ... re=related

Sadly, most of the demos from other places feature stuff that doesn't seem to do it justice ( which is often the case with stuff I guess )

Gonna have a long read and give this unit some serious thought.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone own the Spectralis 2?

Post by steevio »

can you buy one anywhere ?

thomanns say they dont stock it anymore, thats a bit weird has it not just come out ? or are they not available yet ?

for the same money you could buy a Voyager RME, no contest.

i know its a groovebox, so a different animal, but you have to question the whole groovebox ideology. a mate of mine who is now a well known producer used a groovebox when he started out, and it was a massive relief to him when he got a laptop and started using software, because he felt trapped and limited.

the important thing is the sound though, if it sounds good go for it !
definitely dont take any notice of the demos, you have to try it yourself
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

the last information i got is that they stopped developing the OS
dunno how actual it is
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I read that it's already massively deep in regard to the OS, that there's easily enough to call it complete in its complexity. Apparently, due to the fact that it will always be regarded as something which has an OS that is 'in progress', people have assumed this to be taken as some form of neglect but it def doesn't seem to be the case from what I have read.

The fact that it has analog and digital capabilities, a modular type architecture and analog filters with an almost apparent endless way of routing etc, just seems like it's so attractive, not to mention the 2gig sample memory ( which presumably you re-sample via the inputs, run other stuff through the analog filters and fixed filterbank?. I've heard not one complaint in the sound dept, the only niggles I have read so far are related to menu diving - but that doesn't bother me as I happen to be seriously anal anyways and a bit of an edit freak. That's not to say it's not hands on though, just that it has the potential for serious depth.

Steevio: no idea mate, there doesn't seem to be an 'online shop' at Radikal Technologies ( not one that is immediately obvious to me anyway ) and so far I have had no luck in finding where you actually buy the thing. I'm not just going to dive in though, something in this price range needs a lot of research. Regarding the Voyager, there's a couple of guys on Gearslutz ( I think it was on there ) that I read about last night and they have both the Spectralis 2 and Voyagers and whilst they are obviously different machines, it was said that this unit holds it own against the Voyager - and word for word, they said, "and that's saying something". Not that I have any interest in making comparisons on quality of sound, just saying how well regarded it seems to be from people who have used or own high end gear.

I think I'd find a set up like that ( Machinedrum/Spectralis ) very compact and suitable for how I work, space is an issue in my new flat and I have to think realistically about that.

Hmmm, what to do. :?:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

not trying to put you off mate, but ive been there before with unfinished synths with undeveloped OSs - the Andromeda. it was a nightmare. Alesis just literally pulled the plug, they'd spent too much developing it, and just left it unfinished, to the point where there was no customer service or anything ( not saying thats going to happen with this one )
they just washed their hands of it, and all the faults which should have been addressed by updates to the OS were left for the users to deal with everytime we switched it on.

comparisons with the Voyager are probably pointless. if i had that sort of money (and i wasnt more likely to spend it on my modular) i would buy another Voyager in the blink of an eye. best machine i ever bought, totally a real live machine with instant gratification.