Vinyl only?

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by Robot Criminal »

platesofbeef wrote:True. And I found out it's true when a girl was going overboard one night and I started to get uncomfortable as I didn't know if she was taking the piss or not. So to prove she wasn't, she showed me her arse! (This was to prove how much she was into the vinyl, and music in general: she had a tattoo of the logo for Axis records at the top of the crack!)
this made me laugh big time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

I stopped djing because of this discussion. I really have much respect for the medium vinyl, I like to hear the vinyl distortion and I like vinyl djs, but it's just not my medium of choice, personally I can't feel it. I like digital. I have not much respect for "remix on the fly mash-up FX" djs, because 99% the musical output is just crap and I can even understand many pro-vinyl arguments. I even hate monotone one men live sets mostly. But I'm sooo tired to excuse or feel second class because I don't play vinyl. But I guess this will never change because it's so much attitude connected to that question.
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

I could give a poop how a mix is made, as long as it's good. Composition and intent have always been more important to me than medium, and no one's getting a bozo cookie because they made it with just vinyl. At least not from me.

It's a promotional gimmick, and a snoozeworthy one at that.

Tell me the mix will change my life. Tell me it will make me think of ________ genre in a whole new way. Tell me it will make me shake my ass in my car and drive too fast. Tell me it will get me laid. Tell me it will solve world hunger. Tell me it will give me clear skin and perfect teeth. I don't have to believe your hyperbole, but for frak's sake at least try harder than "It's all vinyl."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

World class chefs don't advertise what friggin' cookware they used when making your meal.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

djshiva wrote:I could give a poop how a mix is made, as long as it's good. Composition and intent have always been more important to me than medium, and no one's getting a bozo cookie because they made it with just vinyl. At least not from me.

It's a promotional gimmick, and a snoozeworthy one at that.

Tell me the mix will change my life. Tell me it will make me think of ________ genre in a whole new way. Tell me it will make me shake my azz in my car and drive too fast. Tell me it will get me laid. Tell me it will solve world hunger. Tell me it will give me clear skin and perfect teeth. I don't have to believe your hyperbole, but for frak's sake at least try harder than "It's all vinyl."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

World class chefs don't advertise what friggin' cookware they used when making your meal.
this is just wrong in so many ways.. vinyl sets sound very different compared to digital sets because of the tracks being played.. if you limit yourself to digital, the pool of music you are searchin in is another compared to people who search for vinyl.. playing digital you will mostly shop around on beatport and you'll almost never buy music made before 2006..

i know this is not a general fact.. of course it is possible to make vinyl rips of old old stuff and play it with traktor, but let's be honest who doest that?? but even so the pool where you search for music would still be a different one..

so your example with the cook is actually really bad.. it's not about the cookware, it's more about the ingredients.. you either buy new stuff in the mall every day, or you are creating meals which consist of new stuff mixed with ancient, rare, legendary and sometimes therefore expensive ingredients which have been sealed, hidden and saved from harm over many years :lol:

so playing vinyl is aswell as playing digital nothing close to a promotional gimmick.. it's a pretty different approach which results in different sound characteristics..

and in addition this is not something you conclude with "some like to do it this way and others like to do it that way, everyone is an artist and does his thing" cause dj'ing has always been and will always be a competitive thing and that didn't change only because some genres went mainstream during the last years.. and you now mostly see people on parties who wouldn't even recognize if a mixtape is being played the whole night.. there are still people who care and compare and this is imo what ensures development just like "survival of the fittest" does in our nature..
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

But Steve Angello is not playing vinyl...?
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

regler wrote:I stopped djing because of this discussion. I really have much respect for the medium vinyl, I like to hear the vinyl distortion and I like vinyl djs, but it's just not my medium of choice, personally I can't feel it. I like digital. I have not much respect for "remix on the fly mash-up FX" djs, because 99% the musical output is just crap and I can even understand many pro-vinyl arguments. I even hate monotone one men live sets mostly. But I'm sooo tired to excuse or feel second class because I don't play vinyl. But I guess this will never change because it's so much attitude connected to that question.
I personally think that only in a very small niche vinyl is considered 'better' than digital. The main idea out there is that the more high tech it gets, the better it is. Dunno though, maybe I'm wrong
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

if vinyl makes women show you their tattoos in various lovely places, then the choice should be clear. Who gives a flying fck about the rest :D Epic post finally ending the entire discussion :lol:
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

roland wrote:vinyl sets sound very different compared to digital sets because of the tracks being played.. if you limit yourself to digital, the pool of music you are searchin in is another compared to people who search for vinyl.. playing digital you will mostly shop around on beatport and you'll almost never buy music made before 2006..

i know this is not a general fact.. of course it is possible to make vinyl rips of old old stuff and play it with traktor, but let's be honest who doest that?? but even so the pool where you search for music would still be a different one..
Nobody's forcing digital DJs to buy everything from Beatport and only play new music.

Yes, plenty digital DJs do that but they'd be the same guys who'd have only bought "this week's big tunes" at the record shop or done all their record shopping at HMV back in the vinyl days. Unoriginality and lack of musical perspective (or simply being content to play the same tracks as everyone else) are in no way limited to the medium; digital just means there's more of it due to its accessability.