Allen & Heath Xone VCF Filters

- open
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Allen & Heath Xone VCF Filters

Post by hairblz »

I want two filters to use mixing my tracks like on the Xone 92.

The filters on Pioneer mixers seem to have a fixed resonance, are quite tricky to reset to flat individually, and just don't sound as smooth as the A&H ones.

So do I really have to spend a grand and commit to four EQ knobs, just for two filters? Seems strange, as the Xone 22 filter is (AFAIK) pretty much the same as all the other A&H ones (except it has no band pass) and this mixer costs only around £250.

Does anyone know of an alternative mixer? Or perhaps an external filter for stereo sources? Even a schematic for such a unit?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Allen & Heath Xone VCF Filters

Post by deccard »

http://www.vermona.com/index.php/en_acf2plus.html

that might be something...but never tested it.
techno made me do it
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

deccard wrote:http://www.vermona.com/index.php/en_acf2plus.html

that might be something...but never tested it.
Yeah that looks cool, although for two of those on top of a mixer (to enable filtering of two channels) it would cost close to the price of a 92.

Really no one else is interested in this, or confused by the lack of external filters available?

A&H are the only mixer manufacturer who knows how to make a decent sounding filter?

If someone knows of a photo of the inside of an A&H mixer I'd really like to see how these filters work.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

search in producing section. lots of great filters. moog. schippmann ebbe and flut . sherman filterbank etc etc
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

oblioblioblio wrote:search in producing section. lots of great filters. moog. schippmann ebbe and flut . sherman filterbank etc etc
Those filters you mentioned look good but not really suitable for DJing - they're mono and could only filter one CD player or turntable, so you would need to buy more.

Looks like a good bet would be to buy / rent a xone mixer, dismantle and take photos of the workings of the filter to make my own, because really all I want are two faders - HP and LP cutoffs and a resonance control, which clearly doesn't need to cost over £150. Huge gap in the market here.