Filter Modules

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Filter Modules

Post by s.k. »

question for the modular guys,

can you please shed some light on the filter modules out there - what's good and what's not, advantages vs. disadvantages of different modules, the more expensive and the cheaper ones, just anything that comes to your mind related to filter modules.

i guess i'm asking mainly about eurorack, although this format thing with the modulars is not quite clear to me yet, i think i understand it basically.

so yeah, sorry if the question is too general, i'm trying to collect all kinds of info on the subject, so please contribute if you feel you should! thanks. :)
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Filter Modules

Post by MarcAshken »

have u found any other good novice modular sources mate?
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

not really Marc. i am planning to eventually buy just a filter, an envelope, an amp, and PSU + rack. how i will trigger it is still a mystery but i guess some sort of midi to CV thing...

last thing i would do is to buy more modules at once, if i had the money i still wouldn't :)
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

There's plenty out there to chose from and I haven't tried some brands but I can speak for Doepfer and Cwejman modules which is a good comparison since the prices are a bit apart and sadly it's all worth the extra money.
Owning Doepfer A-102 ,A-124, A-108, A-107 and a Cwejman DMF-2.
Doepfers tend to be a bit noisy (hiss and probably some interference) where the Cwejman remains dead quiet.
The Doepfers are also not calibrated that well and lack some options like V/oct calibration so you can use the filter as oscillator.
The biggest difference to me was however that the sounds tend to be 'blurry' with the Doepfers compared to the Cwejman which remains really clean and precise, dirty and distorted if you want it to.

The A-107 however is a very good module for use with external audio if you don't mind the hiss, it's very versatile and a creative tool with all the different filters it features and the possibility to create filter chains.
One module I would like to try as well would be the Frequensteiner as I heard good things about it but since I got the DMF-2 I find myself almost exclusively using that one.

I'll stop here to keep it short, if you got any more questions about one of these modules ask again.
Personally I'd be interested to hear if anyone owns/has compared Asys with Doepfer modules.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

really useful info, thanks a lot! will check all the specs of those and listen to as much demos as i can. i dont really mind some hiss, but that can get annoying sometimes... guess i'll stay away from doepfer then.

cwejman sounds nice from what i hear. so what you're saying is that basically cwejman and doepfer are two of the more expensive brands? sorry if i misunderstood.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

as i keep on reading i see that some filter modules have VCA built in... is that standard? does it mean that if i buy such a filter i won't need a VCA module (will get sound straight out of the filter)? or is it better to have a VCA module anyway? thx.

also, is it ok to buy second hand? if so, where would be the best place to?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Buying second hand modules is about as fine as buying a second hand anything.
I have never had any problems with second hand stuff. Modules seem to retain their value and go for about 70-80% of RRP.

VCA's are definitely your friend with modulars. Doepfer A-132-3 dual lin/exp VCA is pretty popular. People used to say that you could judge a modular on how many VCA's it had.

I think the doepfer stuff is fine, Cwejman is fine too, but you could have a good system for the price of an few modules.
Don't write off doepfer, a lot of people seem to think that it aint great because its cheap. Those people are usually supprised when they hear/use it.

If you start with some doepfer, it doesn't mean that it becomes redundant when you do decide to buy then higher end modules. By then you already have about a million and one other uses for an oscillator other than audio... Same with the filters and everything else.

If you are getting into modular you really must log into:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

An awesome forum, very responsive and friendly people.
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

What lem says.
Muffwiggler is a very good forum and plenty of info to be found there.
And yes probably for starters Doepfer is just fine especially if you are not entirely sure what the result will be as you won't throw away too much cash.
Also check out the MFB modules which are in about the same price range and of decent quality too, Analogue systems modules aren't too expensive either.
I'd say that a VCA isn't necessary by all means if you want to process external sources mainly but once you get started using oscillators and envelopes, creating synth sounds, you'll definitely need one or more.
I haven't come by a filter that has an integrated VCA but I am not familiar with all the modules out there either.