Which sound card to choose?

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Which sound card to choose?

Post by Toloache »

Hello. It seems that firewire ports are disappeared from all normal pc, so i cant use my edirol Fa66 aymore. So im seraching a new usb audio interface. My setup is pc --->interface----> ecler nuo4 mixer--- > monitors

I dont need to record anything, apart re recording my music trough the mixer to give it a little more spark, so i dont need a lot of ins. Im just searching good sound quality for my budget, around 300 $. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, can you suggest me some good cables? The cables i use now produce too many noise.

Thanks
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Which sound card to choose?

Post by Stomper »

you still can get a PCI/PCIe card for firewire ports if you still like to use your edirol.
the only usb interface i used was mbox2 and it sucked.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

not all usb interfaces are as bad as the mbox2. drivers are the worse ever!

for $300 you just want something that works. M-Audio is probably your best bet or maybe the steinberg CI2.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Im on a notebook.. so pci firewire adapter is not an option. What about the komplete 6 interface from NI? I have read some positive reviews. But from what i read it seems best bang for the buck is E-MU 404 usb. No one had a chanche to try one of those?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tone-def wrote:not all usb interfaces are as bad as the mbox2. drivers are the worse ever!
only said i dont have personal experience with others :)

from my experience with focusrite, i think you should have a look at the saffire 6 usb.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Actually, today im more confused than yesterday lol. Found some brand new audio interfaces to add to the list:

One is this, seems a bigger and newer model than the focusrite you posted : http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... rlett_8i6/ (249 euro)

Another one that seems good is this from Roland: http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... uctId=1166 (200 euro) , basically this is like my fa-66 but newer, shiny and usb 2.0

and then there is NI http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ?page=1906that peak cost chart with 299 euro

As far as interfacing goes, it seems that problem with usb is low transfer rate, but those are all usb 2.0 so they should be on par whit firewire (480 mb/s usb2 vs 400mb/s firewire).

But im concerned with all other specs: i know nothing about impedance etc etc, could someone competent take a look at the various specs and tell me which of these is better sound quality wise?

It would be much appreciated :)
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

The Komplete Audio gets nice reviews, apparently features the same converters as the Apogee One, Cirrus Logic.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

get a apogee or a rme for the best a/d converters