portable reel to reel??

- ask away
tristos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

portable reel to reel??

Post by tristos »

hi all
after many years of thinking about a tape unit, i have seen a few people using various small table top tape units, with the audio interface running through. I have seen both m huckaby and now julio bashmore in the recent ra locations vid using one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXI8cEhY ... ideo_title

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1360

i have been thinking about the tape option for a few years now but have always been put of with inexperience and the upkeep and maintenance/service aspect. this could be an interesting option

any identification/comparison appreciated

cheers
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: portable reel to reel??

Post by oblioblioblio »

you can get cassette machines very cheaply these days, good condition and very possible to maintain easily enough.

I don't think they're good enough for recording full tracks to... they don't seem to get the bass exactly right. Nice warm kinda mystical sound, especially in the mid range.

Don't think it's worth totally writing off... digital is still pretty dodgy technology, especially at higher frequencies. Proper reel to reel gets expensive though, but it's probably the best technology for recording that you can get.

google search for info, also check forums like gearslutz, tapeops . and maybe try something out in person if possible.

Not sure what those small Reel to Reels are though.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

i've got a tascam portastudio.
not really real to real, but still tape ;).
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

those portastudios are ace! doublespeed which really helps in the bass I think. It's not that far away from reel to reel in technology, but I'm not too sure how the quality compares to a proper studio r2r.

THere aren't that many that record multiple at once... I spent ages researching and got a 144 for a good price completely mint, but didn't realise till right at the end you can only record 2 channels at once.... bollocks!

Might go back to digital though, even though it's not my favourite thing ever.
tristos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tristos »

any clue on the bashmore white one in the shot of his studio?

think huckabys could be by a firm called nagra?

T
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

I have a portable reel to reel, got it at a garage sale for fovea dollars, what would you like to know?

Thing is ace itsmabout four inches by eight and has a handle...super awesome lil piece of gear.
tristos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tristos »

thanks for telling me what you have! do you take it on walks? :green:
ethereal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ethereal »

Bashmores using a tape delay not a reel to reel.

If you want an old home stereo type reel to reel though, eBay has tons of them for cheap, although youre going to be paying through the arse for postage if you cant collect.