Vinyl only?

- open
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by shypht »

I don't really care. The medium does not inherently make someone have more integrity or not - a person can buy the top 10 tracks from Beatport, or buy the top 10 vinyl's from Decks.de - yeah, it is easier with Digital downloads and there is a higher saturation of that type of stuff, but at the end of the day a good mix is a good mix. I'm not going to rock out to a set and love it, then find out it was Digital the day after and be all "pfft.....that's lame, the set sucked."

The mediums allow for different styles of expression. As others have mentioned, a beat-matched set tends to have a bit of a more organic/live feeling to it vs the very rigid mixing of an auto-synched set. If one is better than the other is up to the listener and it's an opinion and not a fact.

Beat matching takes one element out of mixing a set, but does not entirely replace the human element.

The only benefit that comes from the vinyl vs digital debate is giving electronic music message boards a never-ending topic to debate on and keep a steady stream of traffic to the forum :)
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

shypht wrote: The only benefit that comes from the vinyl vs digital debate is giving electronic music message boards a never-ending topic to debate on and keep a steady stream of traffic to the forum :)
Word!

Themis: Excuse my ignorance (I have never used Traktor), but you can use the program without Syncing? I thought the main purpose of those kind of programs was that you can press 'Sync' and everything is beatmatched, so you can do ""something else""?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

LouisVee wrote:Themis: Excuse my ignorance (I have never used Traktor), but you can use the program without Syncing? I thought the main purpose of those kind of programs was that you can press 'Sync' and everything is beatmatched, so you can do ""something else""?
So all the DJ's using vinyl/cd control for traktor/serato etc, are not using the program correctly? okaaaaaaaay
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

:roll: all artists that send demos say "I want it released on vinyl! Vinyl is great!". But when you go and check their sets out, they all play CD's or at best Traktor with vinyl control (which is also becoming more rare every day). It cracks me up every time. I was watching a special about the opening of Space this year, and the last one they interviewed was yapping how he was still a vinyl junkie and vinyl was great and he was still oldskool etc etc etc. Next you see is him playing at Space, and there's not a turntable in the booth to be found.

Fact is that there's just hardly anything coming out on vinyl anymore, and the whole debate is pointless really. Labels stop making vinyl, shops stop buying them, technics stopped making equipment, clubs stop putting turntables standard in booths, so what are we still talking about really...
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

PsyTox wrote:
Fact is that there's just hardly anything coming out on vinyl anymore, and the whole debate is pointless really. Labels stop making vinyl, shops stop buying them, technics stopped making equipment, clubs stop putting turntables standard in booths, so what are we still talking about really...
dont know what style you are talking about but for house i buy mainly vinyl only releases. and there is a lot of great stuff i dont want to miss for djing.
besides that there have been always a lot countrys turntables havent been much in use cause cd players were standard and playing with cds way cheaper long before traktor and friends.
techno made me do it
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

PsyTox wrote::roll: all artists that send demos say "I want it released on vinyl! Vinyl is great!". But when you go and check their sets out, they all play CD's or at best Traktor with vinyl control (which is also becoming more rare every day). It cracks me up every time. I was watching a special about the opening of Space this year, and the last one they interviewed was yapping how he was still a vinyl junkie and vinyl was great and he was still oldskool etc etc etc. Next you see is him playing at Space, and there's not a turntable in the booth to be found.

I don't know about other genres but for (deep) house and techno it's definitely not true. All the great tracks come on vinyl sooner or later. Or at least I haven't heard any truly great digital-only tracks.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Barfunkel wrote:
PsyTox wrote::roll: all artists that send demos say "I want it released on vinyl! Vinyl is great!". But when you go and check their sets out, they all play CD's or at best Traktor with vinyl control (which is also becoming more rare every day). It cracks me up every time. I was watching a special about the opening of Space this year, and the last one they interviewed was yapping how he was still a vinyl junkie and vinyl was great and he was still oldskool etc etc etc. Next you see is him playing at Space, and there's not a turntable in the booth to be found.

I don't know about other genres but for (deep) house and techno it's definitely not true. All the great tracks come on vinyl sooner or later. Or at least I haven't heard any truly great digital-only tracks.
+1

you can also say the same for dubstep & D&B.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

There's still more new tunes on Juno every week than I have the money to buy.

Vinyl vs digital is an ongoing internal debate. I've done my time with both and am currently mostly vinyl, starting to feel a bit silly spending so much money on it at times though. Might go for the "happy medium" of buying the best stuff on wax and the rest on download, then again you never really know which tunes are your favourites til you've played them a few times...