Vinyl only?

- open
Brian Ffar
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Vinyl only?

Post by Brian Ffar »

So, I've noticed lately that there seems to be some focus on distinguishing certain mixes from others with "vinyl only." There's even a sticky about it in the mixes forum!

As most of us have, I learned to dj using vinyl, and for me personally, it is my preferred medium for djing. However, I'm curious. Do most people who listen to DJ mixes care? Do people on this board who are more entrenched in the electronic music scene care more? Does this distinction make some want to listen to a mix more than other mixes without the distinction?

Does vinyl, in this day and age, still add a bit of cache or credibility to a DJ?

I think I can probably argue both sides of this coin, but figured I would open it up for discussion if people are open to another one of these threads :)
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by Kiani »

don't want to get into the vinyl/mp3 discussion. there are good digital dj's, but for me personally, when it's vinyl only you know the computer didn't do the work for the dj and you know it's not the latest rapidshare download you're listening to.

i just hate the fact that even big names in the scene download label catalogues and just put it in ableton, where you really need no skills whatsoever to build a dj-set. I have had some chats with a semi-well known belgian dj. He told me that he had label back catalogues (even of vinyl only labels) on mp3... I mean, that makes me sick. I want to avoid this at all costs, that's why I only listen to vinyl sets, at least that way I'm sure the dj is somehow true to the scene
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I care. Partly because of principle (stupid, I know). Partly because I mostly listen to mixes to discover new (vinyl) records to buy. Hearing a nice, digital-only track on a mix does me no good, it's a waste of time for me since I can't buy those tracks on the medium of my choice.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

give a monkey some tools and he´ll stilll be a monkey.
i dont listen to dj mixes. dont have time for that. i only listen to djs in a club / party environment which is different to dj mixes at home. i dont care if they play digital or not. the music counts and the way they can handle the soundsystem and crowd (ok doesnt matter if the crowd is sh!t anyway).
problem is a lot people going out dont really care about the music. more about the impact of the sound and a certain environment which makes it often superficial to me.
and so you have to hear a lot superficial djs getting booked for that crowd. as the shift went to mostly digital djs the vinyl djs seem to be in a certain percentage rate better educated musically (cause they have to listen closer) as the budget for tracks makes the selection harder. (just saying that playing digital makes it easier for more monkeys to play with tools than it used to be).
from the promoter side i experienced besides some nerd exceptions no difference if vinyl gets more respect. average promoter wants their party rocking and succesful. good promoter doesnt mean he has good taste. some good promoters know they make more money with average music than more advanced stuff.
so if it´s about respect. the medium doesnt matter. only for some nerds which are always not enough that their opinion matters besides in their small nerd community.
techno made me do it
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Kiani wrote: I mean, that makes me sick. I want to avoid this at all costs, that's why I only listen to vinyl sets, at least that way I'm sure the dj is somehow true to the scene
Unless he stole the vinyl records in the local record store :shock:
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

patrick bateman wrote:
Kiani wrote: I mean, that makes me sick. I want to avoid this at all costs, that's why I only listen to vinyl sets, at least that way I'm sure the dj is somehow true to the scene
Unless he stole the vinyl records in the local record store :shock:
:) i guess i didn't think that one through
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

play what your most comfortable on - dont concern yourself over what others think.

We are artists who should deliver there art is whatever way is pleasing to them. At the moment its Vinyl and CD's and recently I've bought more vinyl.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Brian Ffar wrote:Does vinyl, in this day and age, still add a bit of cache or credibility to a DJ?
more than ever