The pitfalls of Facebook

- open
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The pitfalls of Facebook

Post by LouisVee »

I have created my facebook account in 2007. At the beginning it was a good way to talk to old friends, to know what they became, etc. Then, it became a 'stalker' machine... you add random chicks, you look at pictures of people you almost never met, you know what I mean... And now it's a promotional tool, I use it 80% for my music thing, only post music related pictures, I chat with music related persons, etc. I think it's more a marketing network then a social one nowdays...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

LouisVee wrote:I have created my facebook account in 2007. At the beginning it was a good way to talk to old friends, to know what they became, etc. Then, it became a 'stalker' machine... you add random chicks, you look at pictures of people you almost never met, you know what I mean... And now it's a promotional tool, I use it 80% for my music thing, only post music related pictures, I chat with music related persons, etc. I think it's more a marketing network then a social one nowdays...
I absolutely agree about it being a marketing tool nowadays. I also think that an email is more personal then a facebook wallpost. So yeah, each has its purpose but what I really am curious about is how exactly is Facebook worth $50 Billion... ($50 billion is a monstrous figure)
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

New Guy wrote:
LouisVee wrote:I have created my facebook account in 2007. At the beginning it was a good way to talk to old friends, to know what they became, etc. Then, it became a 'stalker' machine... you add random chicks, you look at pictures of people you almost never met, you know what I mean... And now it's a promotional tool, I use it 80% for my music thing, only post music related pictures, I chat with music related persons, etc. I think it's more a marketing network then a social one nowdays...
I absolutely agree about it being a marketing tool nowadays. I also think that an email is more personal then a facebook wallpost. So yeah, each has its purpose but what I really am curious about is how exactly is Facebook worth $50 Billion... ($50 billion is a monstrous figure)
I don't think it's supposed to be personal now... as everyone (not only your friends) can see your wall posts.
bam
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

Direkt wrote: I don't think it's supposed to be personal now... as everyone (not only your friends) can see your wall posts.
you can manage exactly who can see your wallposts.

if you are not in the buisness you likely dont know but there are huge revenues through ads.
even youtube pays i think 2dollar for 1000 views, but you have to be a partner of youtube like the most big youtube bloggers are.
so a youtube video with 1 million hits is 2000 dollars for the blogger, and thats only a small percentage of what youtube earns with the 1 million views..
now imagine you have a userbasis of 700 million, and you can show them multiple ads over the whole year.

and facebook can sell his ads costly cause they can offer to target very specific groups of people, which they only can cause everybody gives their personal data (like hobbys, interests) to facebook.

i agree 50 billions is a bit high, but its normal to over value a companys like facebook.
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

Themis wrote:
Direkt wrote: I don't think it's supposed to be personal now... as everyone (not only your friends) can see your wall posts.
you can manage exactly who can see your wallposts.

if you are not in the buisness you likely dont know but there are huge revenues through ads.
even youtube pays i think 2dollar for 1000 views, but you have to be a partner of youtube like the most big youtube bloggers are.
so a youtube video with 1 million hits is 2000 dollars for the blogger, and thats only a small percentage of what youtube earns with the 1 million views..
now imagine you have a userbasis of 700 million, and you can show them multiple ads over the whole year.

and facebook can sell his ads costly cause they can offer to target very specific groups of people, which they only can cause everybody gives their personal data (like hobbys, interests) to facebook.

i agree 50 billions is a bit high, but its normal to over value a companys like facebook.
That's very well explained, thank you. It still is mind-blowing for me. I've read somewhere something that suggested if facebook were to create a search-engine, it'll kick the sh!t out of google, just because they have so much personal infos. and from a certain level, that scares the sh!t out of me.
bam
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

we'll just have to wait until they redesign so it is even worse than myspace :)
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

thomasjaldemark wrote:we'll just have to wait until they redesign so it is even worse than myspace :)
that would be worst decision they'll ever make. a real turning point hah!
bam
whatevertheweatheruk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by whatevertheweatheruk »

a wicked follow up to the ‘Can I Be Your Friend’ video -

the way he sprays is amazing!

whatevertheweatheruk wrote:A funny video from the UK about the pitfalls of Facebook.

Can I poke you? Ha.